Merging the Geekdom: Ham Radio NRA special event station

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Merging the Geekdom: Ham Radio NRA special event station

Post by randy »

From their website:
The Yavapai Amateur Radio Club (YARC) of Prescott, AZ, will operate a special event station November 17, 2011, in celebration of the NRA’s 140th birthday.

The special event will operate from the Gunsite Academy’s 2,000-acre campus in Paulden, AZ,
north of Prescott. The special event call sign will be K7NRA. It will conduct operations
on the following frequencies from 0800 MST to 1700 MST (1500 to 2400 UTC): 7.250, 14.050,
14.250 and 21.335 MHz (+/-).

A unique NRA/Gunsite QSL certificate will be awarded for contacting the special event station.
All amateur stations, especially those operated by NRA members and Gunsite alumni, are urged to participate.
More info including QSL info on their site. Found through their add on page 57 of the October 11 edition of America's 1st Freedom.

For the non Radio Geeks here (Denis): A ham radio club will be making contacts on amateur radio frequencies to celebrate the NRA's 140th birthday. If you complete a 2 way contact with them, they will mail you a limited edition post card that lists the time date and frequency of the contact. Hams use these "QSL" cards to document their contacts when applying for various kinds of awards. For instance I am (occasionally) working on my Worked All States award, which will signify that I've made a 2 way contact with an amateur in all 50 (or is it 57 :twisted: ) US States.

No real good way to predict what radio propagation will be like in November, but it is possible that our Non-US members could participate as well. If you don't have a license, you could make friends with a local Ham and see if you can sit in with them that day and try to make contact that station. (or get your own bloody license! :mrgreen: )

I love it when geekiness comes together. :ugeek:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Re: Merging the Geekdom: Ham Radio NRA special event station

Post by randy »

Update: I contacted the POC and he informed me that
We'll just be working HF phone and CW and 2M phone.
He also sent some links to sideshows from previous years events. The 2008 one has some Gunsite behind-the scenes shots:

http://tinyurl.com/2b43rmo

http://tinyurl.com/yzgzfua

http://tinyurl.com/37auyz3
(Some shots of some of the Gunsite ranges, pro shop and gunsmithy.)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Randy, this is an annual event, as you have learned, that I have never had the opportunity to participate in. Very frustrating as Gunsite is only about 3 miles from my house!

Due to a recent re-prioritizing of my schedule, I hope to attend as a station operator this year.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
randy

Post by randy »

Rumpshot wrote:Randy, this is an annual event, as you have learned, that I have never had the opportunity to participate in. Very frustrating as Gunsite is only about 3 miles from my house!

Due to a recent re-prioritizing of my schedule, I hope to attend as a station operator this year.
Cool! That's the weekend of the Ft Wayne Hamfest, so I will be operating from my mobile. Maybe we'll talk to each other then.
Denis

Post by Denis »

randy wrote:For the non Radio Geeks here (Denis): A ham radio club will be making contacts on amateur radio frequencies to celebrate the NRA's 140th birthday.
Thanks! Have fun.