SSNs-what are they tied to?

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
skb12172

Re: SSNs-what are they tied to?

Post by skb12172 »

How about all the random paperwork I keep finding, with similar info, from my years of teaching? Of course, having had my identity stolen, I'm very sympathetic. Everytime I find one of these old documents, I destroy it. Scary how loosely your info can be scattered around.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

They gave my son an Ohio SSN prefix. He was born here in Anchorage last year.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:They gave my son an Ohio SSN prefix. He was born here in Anchorage last year.
Post 2011 issued numbers are no longer region coded.
That doesn't really bother me at all, but what was the rationale behind that?

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Never mind, this seems to explain it:

http://safescreener.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ation.html

Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

CByrneIV wrote:
Steamforger wrote:My first answer after reading the title was "Pier 19."
Where the marines with charged rifles are...
Sailors. Never saw a Marine standing pier security. I've done it once or twice. It was always a commands responsibility to provide personnel for that task, not the base. At least when I was in it was that way. Things may have changed. I remember my mom telling me to take her camera, go onto that pier with the submarines and get a good picture of my ship tied up to the pier next door. She was rather upset when I refused until I pointed out the sailors with the shotguns and explained why they were there.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

CByrneIV wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:They gave my son an Ohio SSN prefix. He was born here in Anchorage last year.
Post 2011 issued numbers are no longer region coded.
I was born in California (1973), Grew up in California, and have a West Virgina prefix.