Mobile Ham Rig

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: Mobile Ham Rig

Post by randy »

Hamstick type antennas are cheap. You could always get a couple and a mag mount so you could play HF on the road.

once you have the TarHeel installed, they also make nice portable dipole antennas.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I have a pair of 40 meter hamsticks...
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I've got some gear on the way that should make me the envy of every mobile ham:
Antenna
Cable to hook antenna to my H/T
Hand Mike
Car charger

This is what you guys are talking about, right? :P

I should be able to be heard clear on the other side of the road.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Weet, you are getting close. I know my HF antenna cost more than your entire rig (radio and all) put together... :lol: And like I stated earlier, I have not quite decided just where/how to mount it. And with events scheduled and unscheduled along with delays in acquisition and installation of the shell and the pending roadtrip departure all overlapping, it will be a real challenge. It looks like a real jury rig is in store for this trip and hopefully life will slow down a little bit when I get back (don't hold your breath) so I can get caught up.

Sample schedule: Aug 27 Cardiologist visit, Aug 28 Rendezvous til Sept 7, Sept 8 Monthly BP Shoot, Sept 9 install Shell, Sept 10 Enroute to Friendship, IN, Sep 12? visit Weet and Dino/Little Sister, Sept 13 arrive Friendship, Sept 14 NMLRA Fall Shoot Opening Ceremony, Sept 15 NMLRA Members Meeting, Sept 16 NMLRA Field Rep Meeting, Sep 17 NMLRA BOD Meeting, ~Sept 19 depart Friendship for travels home, visit friends on the way home, Sept 26 Rendezvous until Oct 6, Oct 12 Rendezvous until Oct 19, Nov 1-3 Rumpshot's Revenge.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The parts came and I hooked them up on my desk. I'm receiving on a new, unprogrammed radio. I need to put it all together with the radio that will hit the local repeaters and try it out.

Rumpshot - did I email you my cell phone number?
randy

Post by randy »

If you do get a 40 meter set up with your Hamsticks, a couple of nets I've found useful while traveling (checking radio operation and propagation, finding out what weather and traffic is a couple of hundred miles ahead):

MIDCARS on 7.258 MHz daily 0830-1400 ET

72 Ragchew net on 7.272 MHz 0900-1200 ET M-F and 0815-1200 Sat and Sunday

Old Man Single Sideband (OMISS) Net has several nets on 40 Meters during different times of the day.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:...but it'll have to be SMALL and have low/efficient power consumption.
Low power consumption = lowerer range unless you have a really good antenna, right?

I have to admit I'm a real noob with this.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:Ehhh... not really, since almost all transceivers have the same 1/2/5/50/100/regulatory maximum power for band/1/2/5/20/25/50/100/regulatory maximum power for band/ ranges on each band.

It's just that some transceivers are more efficient than others. Those designed to be backpack models for example, are in theory more power efficient.

A lot of transceivers waste a lot of juice in standby, particularly those with big plasma displays (which is one reason why they're largely being replaced).
We may be talking about different things. Are we talking ham bands? I thought the regulatory maximums transmission powers were 1500 watts except for 200 watts on maybe the 6m band.

Anyway, it sounds like you're talking about transceivers that draw less "overhead" power (for want of a better word meaning "power besides that used for transmitting")?

The backpack ones sound interesting. I'd think those would necessarily be small, light, and efficient.

I'm going to pick up my popcorn and sit back and watch now, though. I'm really just chatting rather than providing you any useful information.
randy

Post by randy »

The only Bluetooth I've seen on amateur rigs to date has been some of the early Yaesu APRS HTs, and then only for connection with a GPS, not mic/headphones. I think it's been dropped since they've followed Kenwood's lead and built the GPS into the radio.

If you can't afford a full DC-Daylight radio, the Yaesu FT-8900R does 10/6/2/440.

The Yaesu FT-817 is rated as a backpacker's radio, 5W on HF/6/2/440

Icom dropped their IC-703 back backer model (but you may be able to pick up a used one) and the IC-7000 may be a little larger with more power drain (Color TFT display)

I have friends that have had good luck with Outbacker antennas, 80-2 and I've seen quick disconnect mounts for them.

Hamsticks of various bands with quick disconnects are cheap, but carrying a selection would be a pain.

More later as I think through this.
randy

Post by randy »

Hadn't looked at that one as I was researching HF/VHF/UHF and I'm not that familiar with Yaesu's product line.

I can see where the following would be of interest for your specific situation:
Industry 1st - Detachable waterproof front panel
Industry 1st - Intercom to communicate with fellow passengers
Industry 1st - Bluetooth accessories!

As far as antennas (HF that is), take a look at the Tarheel motorcycle install page. looks like he has a Little Tarheel II on the bike, and a full sized Tarheel on the trailer