Getting started as a HAM noob

Discussion of all things technological and/or gadgety
randy

Re: Getting started as a HAM noob

Post by randy »

Yogimus wrote:Here is the thing about HAM operations... It is expensive, a pain in the ass to maintain, and provides no more entertainment than an AOL chatroom. (Ham radio operator since... 1996)
Depends.

It's as expensive as you want it to be. Especially once you have the basic equipment it doesn't cost to operate (no airtime, user fees, data plans, internet service etc). Of course, like any hobby, it can clean out your bank accounts if you let it. By watching deals and buying used you can get on the air a lot cheaper than what a decent boom stick (for instance) costs. Until some recent financial windfalls I'd never spent more than $300 on a radio, most were acquired for around $100.00 or (much) less.

It's no more of a pain in the ass to maintain than tinkering around with cars, firearms, reloading, etc. IOW things a lot of folks enjoy in and of themselves. If the actual activity doesn't appeal to you, then you might need a another hobby. Me, I like playing around with antenna configurations, developing tools for field operations, tweaking settings etc.

I've gotten a LOT more entertainment value out of the hobby than any internet activity (with the exception of this community). Public Service Events, Emergency Drills, Field Day etc. get me out of the house, gives me time with my Daughter, and I've made many good friends.

And the ones I'm not so friendly with, well there's some entertainment value let me tell you! :twisted:

YMMV etc.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Highspeed wrote:There will be more aerials on your roof than the headquarters of the NSA. :lol:
HEY! I Resemble That Remark!
Ant03.JPG
Ant04.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Jered wrote:
Lokidude wrote:
Jered wrote:Does he have a HAM license?

If you like giving money to the Chi Comms Amazon has a two way

I bought a USB programming cord to go with it, too.
As I said, we're complete noobs in this area. Neither of us has any licensing, or experience past CB and FRS radio operation.
Here's the book to start.

It has all the questions for the test. I'd recommend the No-Code tech license.
After you do the no code Technician license I suggest you take the no code General license. You can study for both tests, and after you take and pass the technician test you can attemp and pass the general test for no additional cost. The Extra test is a bit tougher, but you can again attempt it afterwards for no additional cost. And there are no CW tests in the USA for Ameture radio anymore, which is good cause I really suck at CW, and I've spent a lot of time trying to learn it with scant little to show for it. So off for some PSK31 for me!
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

By the time I need a ham radio, getting licensed will not be on the "to-do" list.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Jered

Post by Jered »

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote:By the time I need a ham radio, getting licensed will not be on the "to-do" list.
What he said. That, and for emergency type use around here, you are probably best off with a marine and/or aviation VHF handheld than anything else. Of the two, the marine unit is probably more versatile since many bush pilots have a marine VHF installed in their aircraft.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Termite wrote:By the time I need a ham radio, getting licensed will not be on the "to-do" list.
There is a training component that your missing. Substitute gun for ham radio and see how it reads...
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

What aftermarket antenna would you buy for the BaoFeng? I've read (maybe around here) that the manufacturers' antennae on HT's suck.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

"Air cooled dummy loads" is one description.

As far as antenna design (long whip, extendable, stubby duck), it depends on your RF environment (lots or repeaters/few repeaters, single,dual,tri-band) and intended use. I have at least one of each type for most of my HTs and swap them out depending on what I'm doing..

As far as manufacturer, I like both the Comet-NCG and Diamond. Good quality and good performers over the years (both on HTs and mobiles).

Of course, the cheapest course is to try it with the stock antenna for a while and see if it has any performance gaps before buying more antennas.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

slowpoke wrote:I suggest you take the no code General license
What is this no-code license of which you speak? The FCC doesn't require CW any more? What level of heresy is this?
And there are no CW tests in the USA for Ameture radio anymore, which is good cause I really suck at CW, and I've spent a lot of time trying to learn it with scant little to show for it
Heresy! Unclean! It is an abomination.

di-di-daw-dit, di-di-daw

I last played with Amateur Radio in the late '60s and spent innumerable hours studying for my code test. With the advent of the intertubes and cell phones, I haven't had much use for stringing dipole antennaes anymore. However, if the need ever strikes I'm sure that I can dredge up enough knowledge to communicate.

I bet you guys are trying to tell me that Heathkit and Hallicrafter aren't making radios any more.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House