Leaving, on a jet plane...

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Dedicated_Dad

Re: Leaving, on a jet plane...

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Sorry guys - I've been run-running and in the eve's when I hit the rack I've intended to post but literally dozed off while in the middle... I've been doing nothing too heavy, lots that's just time-consuming: laundry, sanitizing a bathroom in a house shared by 3/4 young Navy guys - that sort of fun stuff... Tired as heck by the end of a day, but after a year on my REAR it actually feels pretty good to be tired and sore. Last night I actually had little pain after one of my more active days-this is proving to be very good for me as well... In 1984 (first time I tore up this leg) - soon after the cast came off, Mom had a fairly major surgery, and I had to get up and care for her. This got me moving and I believe contributed to my recovery. This time is - I believe - working in a similar way. I'm ready for the ice-packs by evening, but it's "a good hurt", if that makes any sense...

He's doing much better. The compartment-syndrome worries are past, he lost about 25% of one of the four muscles - the one toward the outer-front which lifts the ankle and toes:this is where the worry is sourced. 2 days ago - at last surg. - they found no more necrotic tissue and hence did a cadaver-skin graft. His body will reject this, but it sets up a good bed for the permanent graft (split-thickness of his own skin) to come in ~2 weeks. The reasons for doing this way are to make a less-ugly scar and to also give them a final look inside before permanent closure.

I have to say again that of all the hospitals I've seen the care here is far superior. Not perfect - who or what is? - but far and away superior to anything I've seen even at world-famous civ. hospitals. Example: All the graft/closure work is done by a plastic surgeon - mine was done by an ortho-trauma guy who cared nothing for appearances. It shows...

Yesterday we got him "off ward" priveleges, and took him outside. He was rearing to go, but in <20 mins wanted back to his bed. This is normal - sort of depressing to him, he STILL hasn't quite figured out just how hurt he is... I heard him making "club" plans with his friends for THIS weekend - not just stupid but impossible... Pray for a gentle "reality check" if you're so inclined... Oh to be young and bulletproof again... :roll:

I plan to stay until he's past his next surgery, even if I have to play "hey, since I did all this for you, can I hang out, sleep in the basement, and enjoy SD for a while??" games to get him to consent. His roommate is having ACL reconstruction in a week or so, they think they're going to care for each other, odds are good I'll have 2 patients...

Will try to post again later... Thanks much!!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

All good news.

Thanks for the update.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Dedicated_Dad wrote:His roommate is having ACL reconstruction in a week or so, they think they're going to care for each other, odds are good I'll have 2 patients...
If you're still here, I'd bet money you're going to have two patients in a bit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the update and glad to hear he's doing so well!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
cu74

Post by cu74 »

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know both you and son are doing well. Perhaps there is something to this prayer thing after all.......
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

We talked earlier around dinner time. They had his son on crutches briefly today. Real weak. No stamina.

DD was calling to say he'd just got the word to take him home tonight (and back tomorrow for midday appt with Plastic Surgeon). Scrambling to get out of guest qtrs at the hospital and get back while his son was waiting for orders to check out. He'll crash on son's couch tonight.

Got his hands full...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

blackeagle603 wrote:We talked earlier around dinner time. They had his son on crutches briefly today. Real weak. No stamina.

DD was calling to say he'd just got the word to take him home tonight (and back tomorrow for midday appt with Plastic Surgeon). Scrambling to get out of guest qtrs at the hospital and get back while his son was waiting for orders to check out. He'll crash on son's couch tonight.

Got his hands full...
Thanks for the update - you have my contact info if we need to scramble quick to help take care of them, don't ya'?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Hi all... much happened today... He told me again this morning (as he had last night) that he thought he was going home today. His nurse, last evening, smiled and said "wishful thinking - break it to him gently!" At ~5:30 this afternoon, he called and said he was being released, and was just waiting for orders to be signed. I'm honestly amazed - he must have really been giving them hell, otherwise it just makes no sense. He was unsteady this morning on his crutches, and has to be back there at 1PM tomorrow - I really didn't expect them to release him but they did.

So... I got packed and cleaned the room @ the "Fisher House" where I've been staying, got him loaded up, and brought him home. We got him settled in, got him fed and showered, and I'm just now getting to sit down and ice my knee. He's doing well, all things considered, though I worry he's pushing himself too hard. While he was bathing, I talked to his GF about this weekend - she agreed he probably shouldn't be going but - like me - didn't dare tell him he COULDN'T. She's seen others push themselves too hard, and is worried about him like I am - she promised me she'd call me if he needed to come home and would help by making it clear to him that it was OK to be tired, OK to not feel well, ultimately OK to be "weak" for a bit while he gets over the whole thing.

For those interested in such things, I've attached before and after x-rays... He's definitely competition for me, but I think I still win the ugly x-ray contest :shock: Dubious honor... If you look close(at the first pic, linked [I can't figure out why it won't load]), you'll see a small break at the ankle - with an arrow pointing to it - and (in the last pic - "after") where they added a screw or two to fix it. Thankfully, the joint function is apparently unharmed.
X-ray1.JPG
X-ray2.JPG
after-1.JPG
On the bright side, look at this ba-YOU-Tee-full(!) knee! (lucky little bastidge...) ;) Obviously I'd give him my good leg if I could, but honestly he'd probably be better off with what he has...
knee.JPG
Thanks again for all the prayers - I'll keep posted, and hope in the next few days to be able to (finally!!) make time to hang with the SD Gun-counter crew... He's improving fast, and is only going to tolerate my presence if I do some things *I* want to do (as my excuse for sticking around)...

DD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

I just read the thread after posting, and wanted to say thanks to all - and, I just had to comment on this:
cu74 wrote:...Perhaps there is something to this prayer thing after all.......
It's been a lot of years since I was able to entertain any serious doubt about the reality that prayer works. There's no question in my mind that even "thinking good thoughts" - if that's what you want to call it - simply WORKS. Some other time when I have the energy I'll dig up a video I saw online - dealing with quantum physics - that demonstrates the power of thoughts to influence the material world... VERY thought-provoking stuff...

Thanks again, guys - it means more than I know how to say to know there are so many just plain GOOD people in the world...

DD
Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Dang... Stopped to feed the nicotine-monster (I'm a junkie, yes I know it's one of the worst possible habits and I have plans to deal with it but... enough weak excuses...) and re-read the whole thread. I am VERY sorry to have missed some good input from some even better people. Mea Culpa... At present, I'm expecting to be in town for the first weekend in May, so perhaps we can hook up at the event if not before - please pass along details of time and place!

Otherwise, once again - THANK YOU. I've been very guarded about my home location in a google-able forum, but ... If any of you ever find yourselves on or near the Eastern Shore of the People's Republik of MD please (PLEASE!!) let me know - mi casa es su casa.

DD
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

DD you can look here for details. Mike or BE have my cell phone, and I will email it to you later today.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6144&p=54644#p54644
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona