Leaving, on a jet plane...

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
308Mike

Re: Leaving, on a jet plane...

Post by 308Mike »

Dedicated_Dad wrote:I plan to call Mike and BlackEagle when I land, but will be going straight to Balboa... Any input on reasonable cab-fare appreciated so I don't get screwed TOO bad...
I checked on http://www.taxifarefinder.com, and here's what it came up with (and also gave the directions using Google Maps). I entered starting from teh San Diego airport and ending at Balboa Naval Medical Center (actual name is Naval Medical Center San Diego):
Estimated Fare: $17.12*

The estimated fare is $17.12 using the rate in SD. The trip is 4.2 mi and will take 10 mins. This includes 15% tip.

*Notes:

* Tolls & other surchages (e.g., airport, extra passengers) not included
* Estimated w/ San Diego Rates.

Approximate Breakdown:
Initial Fare $2.40
Add. Metered Fare $12.49
Tip (15%) $2.23
Estimated Taxi Fare $17.12

*Additional charges may apply.

Cab Phone Numbers:

* Taxi One: +44 (0)871 871 8710
* Orange Cab - 619-223-5555
* SD Taxi Service - 619-342-6494
* San Diego Cab - 619-226-8294
* Silver Cab - 619-280-5555
* American Cab Co - 619-234-1111
* Icoa Taxi - 619-225-6230
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

It's now almost 11:00 p.m. here, and you haven't called me; so I can only hope you called someone else to let us know you arrived safely and was able to get transportation.

No doubt, you're caught up with your boy - and I don't blame you ONE BIT.

Let him know we're ALL pulling for him, and if you want, show him this thread.

If you need anything, let us know!!

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Jered

Post by Jered »

I said a prayer for him.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Get some sleep and post in the morning.

308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I know DD hasn't posted in a couple of days and a few people are getting concerned.

We have been exchanging emails, but he's been pretty busy out here and hasn't felt he had time to spend online at the site, so I'm posting portions of his email messages to give you all some heads-up - from DD's email yesterday morning:
First, I would like to express my extreme gratitude to blackeagle603 for the hospitality - "thanks" doesn't seem like enough but I guess it will have to do... I slept like a baby, had a nice hot shower and was able to sort and re-pack my junk... "packing" after midnight at home, I just threw stuff in the bags without much thought...
I'm settled at the "Fisher House" here on base and will probably stay here until Alec's ready to go home, though I made the Mgr. here promise me if someone needed this room he'd tell me so I can vacate. I can stay at Alec's place if I need to, but this is much better... Unless something really unexpected happens, I believe my lodging situation is all straight...

He's actually much better than he was a couple of days ago. They've given him a "nerve block" which is working wonders for his pain, though it honestly worries me a bit since the Compartment Syndrome could worsen and he'd not know it... I talked with his "nurses" at length about this today, and they're checking him hourly for any such signs or symptoms - they don't seem to think it's a problem so I'm going to have to trust their judgement...

I also got to look at his x-rays. He shattered the tibia ("shin bone") above the ankle - maybe 1/4 of the shaft - into a bunch of little pieces. They inserted a rod all the way down, and attached it with 2 screws at each end. Apparently they did nothing for the fibula - they expect it will take care of itself... They were careful to keep the length right, so that will be good... It's likely the bone will grow to cover the rod in time, and it should be even stronger than before.

They've managed to close 1 of the 2 fasciotomy incisions completely, and the second is about 2/3 closed - they're taking him down tomorrow to finish the job, and if they can't close it they'll do the skin-graft. They have a plastic surgeon on "standby" if they need him - he'll do the graft if it gets done which will look much better than the mess I had (done by an ortho-"trauma" surgeon).

His knee and ankle are fine - the joints actually are just BEAUTIFUL, so that's a major relief... It's a lot easier to recover from a tibia-shaft fracture when the joints aren't involved, this also bodes well for his long-term recovery. As athletic and motivated as he is, I think in a year he'll be about as good as he was. Part of me is worried he'll recover TOO well and not slow down like he needs... He's always been the "super jock" and... Hard to decide if "full recovery" to playing as hard as he always has would really be in his best interest...

He's had some muscle die and need removal, he said "25%" but the nurse said "10" - either way is not good, it sounds like they expected it to get worse but it hasn't. They seem very hopeful that he can make an essentially full recovery - he's young, and in the best possible condition, so these are all plusses. His biggest problem now is going to be psychological, but I'm pretty confident he'll do whatever he must to get back his functionality.
Like most parent/kid situations, I know he loves me but he can only take me in "small doses" - that doesn't bother me, I can only take MY mom in small doses as well ;- P... I'm trying to walk that line between doing what I can for him and not getting on his nerves... He's also "in and out" so I'm pretty much in and out there as well... He's been combative after anesthesia but they seem to now know how to bring him up slow so it doesn't happen again.
So he's okay - he's just focused on his kid and I don't blame him. That's the reason he's here, and I'd prefer allowing him to remain focused until he feels he can take a break and perhaps go play.
As it stands, I expect to be in town for at least a couple of weeks - he'll need some help for a while when he goes home and I'm not leaving until he doesn't need me any more. At this point I'm planning to stay in his room when he comes home - hey blackeagle603: could I borrow an air-mattress?
BE, if you don't have one, I'll help pitch in for a loaner to help defray the cost, or I'll pick one up if necessary so that way he doesn't feel he has to tote it home if he buys it himself.

The inflatable mattresses these days a re LOT nicer than the old ones we used to have many years ago!!

Dedicated_Dad

Post by Dedicated_Dad »

Hi guys - I just got online for the first time - I am sorry I missed this before...

I've been trying to stay on top of things but... I'm still far from 100% myself and not handling things as well as I'd like. He had another surgery today...

Yesterday he said they were going to use cadaver-skin to close the fasciotomy, with the plan to bring him back later, remove the graft and close the incision - apparently this will allow him to have minimal scarring. Today - post surgery - we found all they did was clean it out and re-install the wound-vac. I haven't been able to really figure out what changed, though they DID say they were pleased to find no more necrotic muscle...

He was really looking good this afternoon - sitting up, eating... He still tires easily though... I just left and came back to my room - I tire easily too and am sitting here with ice on my knee...

I fixed his car today, which really seemed to cheer him up and also helped me feel useful, though I'm paying for it now - it's all good. A good night's rest is probable tonight - I'm BUSHED. After all the nonsense with the car today, I got pulled over on my way back. I open the glove-box looking for his registration, and there's a Jim Beam "hip flask" and a few airplane bottles of JD and JB. :shock: :? GREAT... I quickly told the officer why I was in town, that it was The Boy's car - he was incredibly cool, didn't even give me a fix-it-ticket.

BlackEagle responded and told me the air-mattress was mine when I needed it. As before, I'm very grateful. I would very much like to try to get together with you guys - check your e-mail or give me a call!

I still need to get his house cleaned up, but it looks like I've got at least a week. Roomate's out of town for the weekend, so I won't likely get to start on that before Mon...

Thanks again for caring! Give me a call if we can get some food or beverages!

DD
workinwifdakids wrote:MV Gun Counter: "We're like Blackwater, except without the impulse control."
Random Internet Moron wrote: "High Caliber Magazine Clips are only useful for random slaughter of innocent civilians, so they should only be used by the police."
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Did you happen to get the officer's name? Did I tell you the easiest way to get out of a citation was to tell the truth?

Cops get tired of bein glied to, and when they run across that rare person who's honest and apologizes for what they've done, they tend to let it go knowing you're the kind of person to not let it happen again (at least not on their beat/watch/shift, etc.).

DD, you know if you need to get some stuff done and don't have enough hands or bodies to do it, LET US KNOW WHAT YOU NEED and we'll see if we can help get it done. You know, take care of our own and all that......... :D :D

It's okay if you get so much stuff done your boy thinks you're: SUPERDAD!!! :lol: :lol:

Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

DD, I was one of those that was concerned. I called 308Mike on my way home yesterday to ask about you. I understand the too busy to post part, but wanted a confirmation that things were going well with you and the boy.

I am sure that I am not the only one following this thread. If you cannot get time to post, that is okay, but please have someone comment.

Don't overexert yourself. You don't need to turn into a liability. You just being there will mean as much to your son as anything. The fact that you are there and can help out will also go a long way on your own rehabilitation. Just don't get carried away. You have more friends than you know who will do the "heavy lifting" for you, just ask.

Best wishes for rapid recoveries to both of you.

Rumpshot
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Take it easy, old man!

Did you ever get one of those Polar Care machines? I just picked one up for my pinned and plated ankle. It's sweetness.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

rightisright wrote:Take it easy, old man!

Did you ever get one of those Polar Care machines? I just picked one up for my pinned and plated ankle. It's sweetness.
They sent me home with the regular Cryocuff for my knee. I wish I had one with the motor, but those stay at the facility. I just open the valve and lower to empty the cuff, then raise to fill, close and disconnect.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.