The truck is dead, long live the truck

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
rightisright

Re: The truck is dead, long live the truck

Post by rightisright »

I can definitely see the advantage of a shorter bed on a full size four door truck. If you aren't constantly hauling for work and only need to use it occasionally, the shortness, relatively speaking, comes in handy. Especially in parking lots.

For work, I'm pretty much stuck with the 8' bed. It's a necessity. Not only for putting stuff in the bed, but also for throwing 20' 2x12s on top. But man, I hate parking the damn things. It takes a 5 point turn to make it into most normal sized parking spots. Even when pulled all the way in the pintle hitch is sticking out waiting for an unobservant driver or pedestrian (or my knee if I'm not paying attention ;) )

ETA: The only reason I kept my trucks stock (untuned) is the transmission. Both Fords are on their second tranny. They went at around 90K with a stock engine. But then again, I'm towing 10K once or twice a week with them.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

ETA: The only reason I kept my trucks stock (untuned) is the transmission. Both Fords are on their second tranny. They went at around 90K with a stock engine. But then again, I'm towing 10K once or twice a week with them.
In my Ford ('02 7.3L autotrans 4x4) I ate my first -- as have a couple friends. Backing up against a load or slope is what killed 2 of us. The key for us (all hauling trailers or heavy toy boxes) has been to dump the stock torque convertor and go to a billet convertor like Banks or ATS makes along with an aftermarket controller from Banks.

Just the controller made much improvement in pulling by matching shift points better to engine torque curve.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Drone 7 of lots more

Post by Drone 7 of lots more »

It's not a Beech D-18, so who cares?
:mrgreen:
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Drone 7 of lots more wrote:It's not a Beech D-18, so who cares?
I like how you think. I have a dream that one day AlaskaTRX and I will have to decide whether to buy a twin beech, or a Grumman Goose.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Drone 7 of lots more

Post by Drone 7 of lots more »

Netpackrat wrote:
Drone 7 of lots more wrote:It's not a Beech D-18, so who cares?
I like how you think. I have a dream that one day AlaskaTRX and I will have to decide whether to buy a twin beech, or a Grumman Goose.
A D-18 with floats? I have to admit though, that there's a weight penalty associated with floats and I don't know of any D-18 amphibs. Mebbe a Goose is what a D-18 amphib might have been?

There's a D-18 nearby that could likely be had for the right price, and as soon's I win the lottery, I'll have it...
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Stop fooling around, and get a Basler 47. :mrgreen:

Chris, best bet with the transmission is simply do a trade with one of the countless improved rebuilds on the market, rather than have somebody local try and monkey with it. a 48RE with a
"stage 4" heavy towing/streetperformance rebuild is 5900 from ATS Performance, minus a 1200 dollar core. They have a half million mile warranty. Is the new truck a 2007? In 2008, Dodge switched to the 68RFE"Orion" transmission, and it seems nobody is selling complete transmissions for it yet.

A tranny cooler is a very good idea. I personally like to a whopping big one on, and then plumb a cooler thermostat in. Oil stays at the proper temperature that way, even in winter(which I suppose, won't be a problem for you. :mrgreen: )

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Drone 7 of lots more wrote:A D-18 with floats? I have to admit though, that there's a weight penalty associated with floats and I don't know of any D-18 amphibs. Mebbe a Goose is what a D-18 amphib might have been?
There was one on straight floats flying around the town where we grew up when we were teenagers. My brother later went to work for that outfitter, but by then the Beech was gone, although they did have an otter, beaver, and a 206.
There's a D-18 nearby that could likely be had for the right price, and as soon's I win the lottery, I'll have it...
Be careful, there are some nasty ADs out on them, especially the earlier ones. IIRC, there is a wing spar AD in particular that is difficult and expensive to comply with. We're probably going to end up content with the Bearhawk on amphibs, but it is still nice to dream, particularly with my brother being multiengine rated and all.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Drone 7 of lots more wrote:A D-18 with floats?
Yup.

HTRN
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

That's tasty. Safe travels!

Course, you need a nice new shiny trunk gun to "christen" it, right? :mrgreen:
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

In my Ford ('02 7.3L autotrans 4x4) I ate my first -- as have a couple friends. Backing up against a load or slope is what killed 2 of us. The key for us (all hauling trailers or heavy toy boxes) has been to dump the stock torque convertor and go to a billet convertor like Banks or ATS makes along with an aftermarket controller from Banks.
I read about the billet converters ... after both transmissions blew :roll:

At least I got a 3 year warranty on the rebuilds...