Question for the Air Force guys

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Weetabix

Question for the Air Force guys

Post by Weetabix »

Youngest daughter has been texting, phoning, Face timing with a young airman 3 states away. They're both 19. Seems like a fine young man on paper.

She's out of the house, living on her own, supporting herself. We have an excellent relationship.

They'd like to meet. I'm not comfortable with their meeting away from either family. His family is in CA. So, I offered to let him stay at our house. I kind of figure if he's significantly opposed to that, it could flush out character information though it would not necessarily confirm any. He's concerned about flight costs to here.

The question: I thought I'd heard or read that AF personnel could deadhead on flights for free or cheap, given some coordination. Is that right or not?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rod

Re: Question for the Air Force guys

Post by Rod »

They can but it's basically a crap shoot on whether they can catch a ride. Depends on a lot of things and there's no guarantee on a return trip. I know that coming back from Germany once, it took me three days to get Space A on a military flight and I had to pay commercial to get back.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I think it would be Minot to Whiteman, if that makes any difference.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Since neither is a transport base, the likelihood of aircraft with space on board for passengers goes WAY down.

When I was in Space-A seemed to be mainly used by retirees and dependent family members that had no set schedule and could afford to wait around a terminal a few days for hop to where they wanted to go (or at least close).

I never even tried to use it when I was on a limited schedule.

Minot to Whiteman isn't that much of a drive (and having been stationed in Nebraska and driven all over the great and northern plains, I have some idea of the distances involved). Assuming he has a decent car (not a safe assumption with a Junior Enlisted), and he probably can't rent one, so that may not be an option
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Should be able to get relatively cheap air fare from Fargo or Grand Forks to KC, especially with a .mil discount.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom