Good news for JK and family

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Good news for JK and family

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Congratulation and best wishes!
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

8-) Cool
g-man

Post by g-man »

Good to hear!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Precision

Post by Precision »

coming from a family with more than one nurse in it. Don't do the bedside hospital nursing all the crap and burn out and injury central. Not to mention being force fed dumb and contradictory rules all the time.

Get into a specialty, like wound care, pain clinic, some kind of special procedure - heart cath...

The money is better, the BS is way lower, you have decent to good hours and even the doctors don't give you too much shit because you know way more about the topic or are important to them getting their job done quickly and efficiently.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Note, a couple nurses on my Mother's side of the family. One uncle (former mechanic) became a nurse after an on the job injury and went into psychiatric nursing. They much prefer male nurses, and especially ones with a degree of physicality, in that sub-specialty and they pay is (per him) quite above average for the profession.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

We really need to let Aesop back in to add to this thread. 8-)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

blackeagle603 wrote:We really need to let Aesop back in to add to this thread. 8-)
Troublemaker. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

blackeagle603 wrote:We really need to let Aesop back in to add to this thread. 8-)
Sleeping dogs and all that.....
John_in_Longview

Post by John_in_Longview »

Congratulations. Both of my sisters are nurses. I highly recommend getting your BS in nursing and not stopping at the associates degree level.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Precision wrote:coming from a family with more than one nurse in it. Don't do the bedside hospital nursing all the crap and burn out and injury central. Not to mention being force fed dumb and contradictory rules all the time.

Get into a specialty, like wound care, pain clinic, some kind of special procedure - heart cath...

The money is better, the BS is way lower, you have decent to good hours and even the doctors don't give you too much shit because you know way more about the topic or are important to them getting their job done quickly and efficiently.
I'm definitely leaning towards some kind of specialty, but my experience thus far has all been emergency, so I'm going to play it by ear and see which clinicals I enjoy best. I was born at 28 weeks and 2 lbs, so, as emotionally draining as it may be, I kinda gravitate towards NICU/PICU or just OB in general. Might be nice to actually bring life into the world.

Ultimately I still intend to go for PA or NP at some point, but this way I can get working sooner and do the rest on my own time.