The USMC and Junior Termite: It continues...

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Termite

The USMC and Junior Termite: It continues...

Post by Termite »

Well,

Several months ago Junior Termite decided that earning a living doing HVAC installation and repair was just too boring for him. So after much researching, he decided that he wanted to follow in his grandfather's military tradition, and become one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children(my father served in the USMC during the Korean conflict).
His test scores were high enough for most everything; so he decided to really make his stint REALLY interesting.......and signed a Force Recon contract, with the eventual goal of becoming a member of MARSOC.

He flew out today from Shreveport, LA, on his way to Paris Island, SC. He took with him: his DL, SSN card, the clothes he was wearing, and $20. Nothing else, as per his recruiter's instructions.

And so now we wait......... 8-)
Last edited by Termite on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
First Shirt

Re: The USMC and Junior Termite: It begins......

Post by First Shirt »

Prayers and good wishes go with him! Please thank him, from all of us!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Congrats and best of luck to him!
randy

Post by randy »

Cool! Best of luck to the new Jarhead
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I don't know what is wrong with kids today, as you know my younger son made the same choice. What'ya going to do?

Congrats.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

My Granddad saw me off to boot the exact same way 25 years ago. Can't believe it's been that long.

Either way, his Granddad sent him off to USAF boot in the early 50's with everything the same except for $5 instead of the $20. The $5 back then may honestly have been worth more.

It provides me no small sense of comfort that these traditions are still around, even though now it sounds standardized. Good luck to your son.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Outstanding!! Still remember my mother dropping me off at the Greyhound bus station, only I had no money. :P

Please keep us posted, looking forward to updates.

So, who is going to be the first one to send a big package of cigars and cookies?????
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Congrats and Semper Fi!
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Rod

Post by Rod »

He's a jarhead seed? Where'd you go wrong? Congrats to the young man and may he find his new path interesting and exciting. May he also find it not too interesting nor too exciting.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Termite

Post by Termite »

Monday night, 2300 hrs:

Ring, Ring....

"Hello?".....(Mrs Termite)

"This is Marine Recruit Junior Termite. I have arrived safely at Paris Island, SC. I will mail you my contact mailing information in 8-10 days. Please do not send any bulky packages or food items.
I love you, goodnight...."
<click>
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."