Recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery (L Hip)

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
308Mike

Re: Recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery (L Hip)

Post by 308Mike »

I learned something new this morning: Some hip-replacement patients will experience a lengthening sensation of the leg on the repaired hip side, due to the worn out joint being replaced by a fully repaired joint, including cushioning material between the socket ends (I had none in both hips, complete bone-on-bone contact all the time). It makes complete sense when you think about it, especially depending on how badly damaged the joint was prior to being repaired/replaced. I was told by my surgeon's office that they don't tell everyone because not everyone experiences it - sometimes it is only a stretching sensation in the muscles of the leg causing it, but I can tell mine is actually longer because I have to bend my knee to stand straight up - and when I told my surgeon's nurse, I was told that it should settle in over the next month, the more I'm on my feet. Then again, the same thing will probably happen when I get my right hip done later on.

Regarding my current pain level (surgery was two days ago, on the 19th):

It was pretty bad when I first got up this morning (but FAR less than it had been pre-op), today is supposed to be the most painful day - the injected meds have all about worn off, now I'm down to oral pain meds, which I NEED to take them so I can do my walking exercises. I also have bending and movement limitations for at least a month while I heal. NOBODY wants me to dislocate my new hip joint (ESPECIALLY ME!!!)
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Sounds like you are doing well. Take it easy, don't overdo it. DO the PT as prescribed.

I am sure you already know that since you favoured the bad hip so long, you have compensated with the rest of the body. In doing so, you probably have other tissue damage that may now heal.

All these "old" peoples diseases are not good for the forum. You, Rod, myself, and probably several others need to heal up and stay healthy.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Your pelvic/hip complex is probably out of alignment after all that. Or "pelvic disparity" as my postural therapist called it. Got some tips for you on that when you feel like moving more and get into PT deeper.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Good luck w. the new hip!
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

blackeagle603 wrote:Your pelvic/hip complex is probably out of alignment after all that. Or "pelvic disparity" as my postural therapist called it. Got some tips for you on that when you feel like moving more and get into PT deeper.
Thanks for the offer!! Hopefully I'll remember this when I'm ready for them - gonna' be a couple of months.

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Just something as simple as standing with toes at 12 o'clock (no duck foot) with heals hanging off a step or curb for 3 minutes or so a couple times a day can work wonder for setting your pelvis back to neutral. Keep yourself vertical over your heals, stomach relaxed and contract/relax your butt now and then.

Egoscue Method they call that a "gravity drop."
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

blackeagle603 wrote:Just something as simple as standing with toes at 12 o'clock (no duck foot) with heals hanging off a step or curb for 3 minutes or so a couple times a day can work wonder for setting your pelvis back to neutral. Keep yourself vertical over your heals, stomach relaxed and contract/relax your butt now and then.

Egoscue Method they call that a "gravity drop."
THANK YOU, Bro!! I'll keep that in mind!! My therapist is shocked to see how far ahead I am in my recovery than most of her patients!! I'm hoping I might be able to use your suggestion in the next few weeks as I slowly recover from my surgery, sounds like a GREAT realigning method!!

Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Get better soon! Prayers sent.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.