Recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery (L Hip)

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
308Mike

Recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery (L Hip)

Post by 308Mike »

Folks,

If you're interested in how my hip replacement surgery went yesterday morning (12/19/17) - well, I'm still here!!! Major surgery (total hip left replacement), and they took me to the OR at approx. 0730 hrs, and called my wife to tell her I was now out of surgery and in the recovery room at approx. 0930 hrs, letting her know everything about the surgery had gone well, and I'd be in recovery for at least 1/2 hour before she could see me. I was HOME around noon. Look how far modern medicine has come!!!

As of now (still under the affects of the anesthesia and nerve anesthetic into my spine), my *constant* pain level has decreased dramatically, even though I now have a piece of metal in my body for the rest of my life. The nurses noticed a DRAMATIC difference in my appearance and demeanor between before and after the surgery. I can actually walk now WITHOUT a limp, but am temporarily using a walker to keep me stable while I heal (they sure don't want any chance that I might fall).

I have some restrictions to follow until I heal, and I'm now one of those folks who has to take an antibiotic every time I go see a dentist, even for teeth cleaning, and I can't bend my left leg more than 90 degrees at the waist for at least a month (or the femur might dislocate until the surrounding muscles recover and regain their strength and the tissues heal more. Right now it feels like someone hit me in the hip on my left side with a baseball bat, which is a VAST improvement compared to how much constant pain I had been in).

My wife was going to beat me about the head and shoulders with uncooked lasagna noodles and frozen pizza until I got the surgery (just kidding about my wife - 'cause she'd use a phone book, taser, and/or a couple of self-help books, LOL!! - and she's laughing as I read this to her)!!

She has started calling me her "Bionic Man"!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Cobar

Re: Recovering from Hip Replacement Surgery (L Hip)

Post by Cobar »

Good to hear that it went well.
randy

Post by randy »

Glad to hear it went well.

So you now have another reason (other than being one of the Four Horsemen) for TSA to give you extra TLC! :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Glad all went well! Now, just listen to your physical terrorists, and DON'T overdo it!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

randy wrote:Glad to hear it went well.

So you now have another reason (other than being one of the Four Horsemen) for TSA to give you extra TLC! :twisted:
Oh yeah, just what I need! ;) It's a good thing we drive almost everywhere, so we haven't flown in more than 15 years. 8-) 8-)

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Yay for a successful surgery! Glad to hear it.

Please, please listen to the physical therapists, and do not try to push things too hard and too fast.

My dad had a hip replacement. He was a stubborn Norwegian farm from the old school, used to doing this his way. He pushed too hard, dislocated it. Got it put back in, pushed too hard and dislocated it again. Told him if he did it one more time, was going to have to amputate at the hip.

He was in severe constant pain from his hip up until when he passed away last Thursday.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

TheArmsman wrote:He was in severe constant pain from his hip up until when he passed away last Thursday.
I'm so sorry to hear that!! So, he refused to follow their instructions after surgery? Even after the first dislocation???

Trust me, when it comes to cutting on my body, I'm going to do whatever it takes to not let them do that again, which is why I didn't opt for the replacement surgery to begin with - I had to go with the sonogram-guided steroid injections first, witch gave me about 2 days of relief. I KNOW cut tissue is NEVER the same, so I took the most conservative route available to me at the time.

Once the injections failed, I had no other options other than total hip joint replacement. That's the surgery I had on the 19th of December, 2017. One of my restrictions is to NOT bend my left leg beyond a 90-degree bend at the hip, nor twist my foot inwards nor my left knee. The hardest part is not bending my left leg beyond 90 degrees to my hip. I can't put on socks and shoes (by myself), nor can I pick up stuff off the ground (by myself - unless I can find one of those 'reacher grippers', I can't scoop the kitty boxes, and to use the toilet I had to buy an extended/raised adapter to the toilet seat, plus a water-proof shower seat to use in the shower. Thankfully, we have a high bed.

I can't imagine being in MORE pain than I was already immediately before my surgery (I could hardly walk - even with a cane)!! You wouldn't believe the immediate pain relief I had after my procedure, and to do ANYTHING to compromise my recovery and go back to that kind of debilitating pain would simply be unbelievable!!!

MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Glad it went well. Take care of yourself.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Rod

Post by Rod »

Know how you feel. My doctor is a rarity, he doesn't want to do rotator cuff surgery on me. I didn't like the last time they cut so I avoid it as much as possible. Heal fast and to Hell with the doctors, obey your wife. She's more dangerous if you screw up.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Precision

Post by Precision »

sorry for the need. Glad it seems to be going so well. Sometimes new parts are then thing to do.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/