School Me On Classic Cocktail Ingredients

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

School Me On Classic Cocktail Ingredients

Post by MarkD »

So my wife and I have talked about having Friday Cocktail Nights, and while I have some experience with some of the ingredients I thought you [strike]drunkards[/strike] fine folks might have some suggestions, especially on brands.

I'm thinking classics here, manhattan, old-fahioned, martini, side-car, etc. So a little digging says the six required liquors for such an endeavor are whisk(e)y, brandy, gin, tequila, vodka and rum.

On the topic of whisky, my personal go-to are either Glenmorangie 10yr single malt or Jameson Black Barrel. I might go for a half-decent blended scotch (maybe Chivas or JW Black) for mixing. Bourbon I'd probably go for Makers Mark or Evan Williams (which I've heard real good things about, and it's CHEAP). Rye is something I have no experience with, and the only Canadian's I've tried were Seagrams 7 (crap) and the higher-level Seagrams (the name of which escapes me) which I don't recall being too bad, but it's been a long time. I've had Jack Daniels too, both regular No 7 (not bad) and Gentleman Jack (actually quite nice). Other suggestions welcome.

Vodka: I'm a firm believer that if you go much above Stoly you're just trying to impress someone, and I might just go to Costco and get a handle of Kirkland brand which I've heard is excellent, and you get a handle for less than you'd pay for a 750 of anything else.

Rum: I used to think Bacardi was good stuff until I had Pyrat, but that seems a little much for mixed drinks.

Tequila: Patron is good, but again not sure it's necessary for a margarita or some such.

What I know about brandy and gin you could put in a liter bottle and have plenty of room for a liter of your favorite beverage.

For the record, while I've never had a martini, I truly believe martinis are made with gin. That mix of vodka and vermouth is something else, it's like saying you want a rum-and-coke but made with tequila and 7-up.

Lastly, can anyone recommend brands to look for (or stay away from) for the other ingredients like bitters, vermouth, etc.
Greg

Re: School Me On Classic Cocktail Ingredients

Post by Greg »

I've been slowly building a basic bar at home, too. Sometimes you just want a drink, or you have grownup company.

I bought the 'American style' Kirkland vodka just the other day. 13 bucks for 1.75l of brand-name-quality vodka.

Made myself a John Daly. It's an alcoholic Arnold Palmer (get it?!?). Very tasty.

The Kirkland gin is a similar story.

We also have the Kirkland bourbon. We originally bought that for a recipe for glazed pork (grownup company) and the excuse to have bourbon on hand was a plus. Reviews I've seen for that one are mixed. Many complaints are along the lines of, it's too high proof, it's harsh, it's raw, etc. I've had some neat and enjoyed it, and the particular complaints make we wonder when bourbon 'experts' became such sissies. But that's just me.

Some friends brought us some Trader Joe's light rum. I can't say much about it, except it makes wonderful Mojitos (but that's not saying much).
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Hornitos is a fine mixing tequila.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Gin: Hendricks
Bourbon: Weller, WT rare breed, WT 101
Scotch:Monkey shoulder (if available)
Rum: Kirk & Sweeney
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

JW Red is made for mixing. FWIW
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

For mixing:
Evan Williams (their single barrel isnt bad staight up either)
Sailor Jerry and Kraken
Espolon
Friis, svedka and Sobieski. There are a number of good cheap vodkas, but one of these three should be available locally just about anywhere in north america.
Spend money on good gin and vermouth, because you cant hide crap ina classic martini. I prefer tanq and nolly prat, but im trying to find a source for Vya.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

For a Martini I prefer Bombay gin and Martini & Rossi vermouth. Tanqueray is more affordable and plenty acceptable.

For a gin & tonic on a 85-degree+ day, Seagrams Lime-Twisted Gin and Canada Dry Tonic Water (make sure it has actual quinine) over ice in a pint glass is just fine. You can use a regular gin and fresh lime as well, but like cheap beer cheap G&Ts work great on hot days. It's my fancy drink for tailgates. (And since most of my summer tailgates happen near the Meramec River in Missouri, it's great for keeping malaria at bay.)

As for all of the other hard alcohols, all but rum taste like gin to me: BURNING. Rum tastes like sugar and BURNING to me. So I stick with gin.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

I would second the motion on Hendricks gin. Because I like it taken straight. I'm cheap on the rest.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Bombay, Tanqueray, Beefeater are all good gins.

They're good gins, Brent.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I also like Aviation and Plymouth for gin.

ETA- words, correct ones.