School Me On Classic Cocktail Ingredients

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
evan price

Re: School Me On Classic Cocktail Ingredients

Post by evan price »

There's more to whiskey than as a mixer.
Sipping whiskey...i like bottled-in-bond varieties and I'm partial to Heaven Hill. Elijah Craig is one of my favorites as is Bulleit bourbon (iirc it's a Diageo brand?)
I keep Heaven Hill green label and regular Jim Beam for mixing.
Absolut vodka.
Sauza Hornitos tequila. I can drink a lot of their Reposado neat.
Bacardi Select rum.
Jameson's Irish whiskey.
Beefeater gin.
Amaretto.
You'll need bitters (Peychaud's or Angostura? Buy both.), sour mix, triple sec, sodas, simple syrup.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

evan price wrote:There's more to whiskey than as a mixer.
Sipping whiskey...i like bottled-in-bond varieties and I'm partial to Heaven Hill. Elijah Craig is one of my favorites as is Bulleit bourbon (iirc it's a Diageo brand?)
I keep Heaven Hill green label and regular Jim Beam for mixing.
Absolut vodka.
Sauza Hornitos tequila. I can drink a lot of their Reposado neat.
Bacardi Select rum.
Jameson's Irish whiskey.
Beefeater gin.
Amaretto.
You'll need bitters (Peychaud's or Angostura? Buy both.), sour mix, triple sec, sodas, simple syrup.
Oh, I'm rather well acquainted with whisk(e)y neat, with a little water, or a LITTLE ice. I'm a total newb with mixed drinks though. As far as mixed whiskey drinks I've had a grand total of one Manhattan (which I enjoyed) and two Mint Juleps (also enjoyed). I've got lots of Margaritas (although I've read a bit about making your own sour mix), maybe a handful of Screwdrivers over the years, and that's about it for mixed drinks.

I'm still mostly a beer drinker, and enjoy wine with a meal, but I think age 54 is old enough to broaden my horizons.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Paul Masson Grande Amber Brandy. Less expensive (a good thing) and smoother than the likely candidates on the shelf. A snifter in the evening is nice.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote:Absolut vodka.
Is a 15 dollar a bottle vodka thats sold for 30 dollars a bottle because of marketing. There are better vodkas for less money.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

HTRN wrote:
evan price wrote:Absolut vodka.
Is a 15 dollar a bottle vodka thats sold for 30 dollars a bottle because of marketing. There are better vodkas for less money.
Its also the one that did the Aztlan like 'absolut' ad years ago

f*ck them
BDK

Post by BDK »

Be sure to use fresh lime juice for margaritas
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Enough. No matter what I like it's not good enough according to all youse experts. My choices are...my secret.... :lol: And nobody ever leaves here.... thirsty.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Old Grafton wrote:Enough. No matter what I like it's not good enough according to all youse experts. My choices are...my secret.... :lol: And nobody ever leaves here.... thirsty.
If it ain't a-stinkin', I'm a-drinkin'!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

If you really want to school yourself about bottom-shelf hard liquors, try anything from Aristocrat or Crystal Palace. They are hard lessons to learn, but perhaps necessary.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

SoupOrMan wrote:If you really want to school yourself about bottom-shelf hard liquors, try anything from Aristocrat or Crystal Palace. They are hard lessons to learn, but perhaps necessary.
Not really looking for bottom shelf, maybe lower-middle shelf :D

I think it's a waste to mix premium liquor in most cases, but I don't think anyone should drink rotgut.

Honestly, I don't drink all that much hard stuff, so I don't see the need to save a few bucks by buying crap. I had a uncle who drank a handle of Seagrams Seven Crown a day (seriously, he drove from Florida to NYC to visit my Mom when she was sick, spent maybe ten hours at my place. He had two 1.75l bottles of Seven Crown, one maybe a third full, the other sealed. When he left the first was empty and the second was a third full. He then drove back to Florida, and you'd not have known he'd been drinking.) In his case the price difference between crap and good stuff meant something, I drink about four or five bottles of Scotch or Irish a year.