It's finally caught up with me

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rod

It's finally caught up with me

Post by Rod »

After 54 years of Marlboros, it seems my luck has finally run out. I go into the doctor in 9 days to discuss the scan but I've already received an e-mail with the results. I'm in the first stage of Emphysema, which my father had. His was caught at a much later stage and he lived another 15 years. There's also some nodules to be discussed but, from the e-mail, the doctor just wants to keep an eye on them. I've quit smoking in the past but it's never held. Doc and I will discuss using Chantix again and quitting the habit. So now my life becomes boring as hell; I don't drink to excess, I don't chase women, I'm not a big gambler, and now I can't enjoy smoking. Oh yeah, my shooting is curtailed by the shoulder osteoarthritis and rotator cuff injuries. Guess I'm cut out to be the most curmudgeonly bastard you ever saw. No need for sorrow as I've lived a good life so far and will continue to enjoy the many years ahead. Please don't make this public until I do after the doctor's visit.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Weetabix

Re: It's finally caught up with me

Post by Weetabix »

Ugh. Stay strong.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

So now you're merely mortal. Hang in there!
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rod

Post by Rod »

Thanks, I'll bring it up with my doctor but being on Tricare and Medicare means they probably won't allow this.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Stop smoking, be aggressive and keep fighting!

Good luck and prayers sent
randy

Post by randy »

Hang in there!

Let us know if we can help with anything.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Dang it Rod. You have a few years on me, but we need to hang in there for a while longer. There is a whole new generation coming up that we need to corrupt. We just need to be too stubborn to give in. Life is tough, we can be tougher...
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

I understand. I love the occasional cigar and if I was told I would have to quit drinking craft IPAs and cheechy, high-end single malts, I would think life is not worth living. But then I remember when I was actively cycling (to the tune of 150 mi per week) and too believing that if I couldn't cycle life would have no purpose. Well, I don't cycle anymore .... the urgency and desire just kind of went away after I discovered 1000cc "cycling".
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Rod wrote:
Thanks, I'll bring it up with my doctor but being on Tricare and Medicare means they probably won't allow this.
Yeah, that's a mortgage the house, do it on your own sort of thing. Medical practice at the local level and insurance lags the science and best available treatment by about 17 years on average (least that's what I read somewhere, or heard from my doc).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story