It's finally caught up with me

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rod

Re: It's finally caught up with me

Post by Rod »

Just an update. Doc says the nodules on the lung have not grown so it's 95% likely they're not cancerous. Seems they form often here because of the dust in the air. I asked the doc about my longevity and he said I'd make the 50th anniversary in 13 years easily. As mentioned before, I'm in the early stages. I'm chewing the hell out of Nickorette gum and am taking Chantix and can say since Tuesday, I've cut down to 12 cigarettes a day. I expect to be smoke free before the new year. I've also got bronchitis, goes with the territory. The doc had me get the pneumonia vaccine and gave me an inhaler that I'm supposed to use only when needed. All in all, not as good as I'd like but way hell better than I thought it would be.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
randy

Post by randy »

Take whatever good news you can get!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Huzzah!

Kick that habit and get your groove on doing bestest and mostest to live and thrive.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

DONT quit cold turkey!
Slowly quit and try vaping.
There is a very high corelation between quiting smoking cold turkey and then developing lung cancer. The process is likely that when you stop smoking the lungs start healing. The smoking slows and interferes with that healing, once you quit they can heal, and very rapidly. That rapid growth and healing turns into cancer. This is something doctors dont like to share since they would rather have more people saved by quiting than those who get cancer from it, and those cancers are linked to the smoking not the quitting.

I am not a DR, and this isnt medical advice. do some research on your own about this.

Damn government should be pushing vaping so people can get nicotine without cancer, instead of hating it because less tax and settlement money and more outlays as vapers live longer.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Rod

Post by Rod »

slowpoke wrote:DONT quit cold turkey!
Not going cold turkey. Set the date of Dec. 31 and using Chantix and Nicorette gum. I've quit twice before for 3 years each and failed to quit on Chantix once. I dislike vaping for a lot of reasons, main one though is that it's more labor intensive than cigarettes.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Glad to hear the news could have been a lot worse... Or was not as bad as it could have been, something like that I guess.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Rod, things can ALWAYS be worse (until you die). Not quitting cold-turkey is the way to go, give your body a chance to adjust to the lowering levels of nicotine in your body, which will also decrease the cravings too!! It's a long and slow process, but it's one you can see and chart progress on a regular basis, much like getting off any other substance after having used it for a long time. The longer it takes, the more gradual the process, but as long as you're moving in the right direction, you'll get there!!! WE have faith in you!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Rich

Post by Rich »

Yet, I quit cold turkey, twice. And if I hadn't stupidly talked myself into restarted smoking as a weight control measure, it would have been once.

Seriously, the method to use is what works for you, not me or anyone else.

Keep hanging in there. :P
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Rod

Post by Rod »

Update. Haven't had a cigarette since 4 PM on Christmas Day. Beginning to like nicorette gum until it's been in too long and causes me to cough.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Rod wrote:Update. Haven't had a cigarette since 4 PM on Christmas Day. Beginning to like nicorette gum until it's been in too long and causes me to cough.
Good for you!!! Keep it up!!! :D
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad