I hate the BMI

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Vonz90

Re: I hate the BMI

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:https://www.npr.org/templates/story/sto ... =106268439

Itis in fact worthless as an individual measurement and was never intended to be used that way.

I am 6'1" and about 195 lbs, per BMI I am quite fat, per actual body fat measurements I am fit.

Thank God the Navy never bought into the BMI cool aid.
Is there a good way to gauge a reasonable weight besides calipers or dunking a person?
http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator. ... y-Fat-Navy
BDK

Post by BDK »

Back in the long, long ago, I think every athlete at A&M was "morbidly obese" to "obese" under that scale.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

According to the BMI, Michael Jordan was "obese" when he led the Chicago Bulls to the NBA title, his last year. This caused it to lose a lot of credibility in my mind.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Termite

Post by Termite »

Junior Termite(no longer very junior......) is now 5'9", 175#......and has been doing the "rip-it" workout for months. He looks like a Hollywood "Seal Team 6" member......he benches something north of 280#......

Yet according to the BMI index, he is..."over weight"...... :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
evan price

Post by evan price »

When i went to join the navy in 89 i was 6'1" tall and weighed 210 lbs. Morbidly obese.
Working for five years in a clothing import warehouse distribution environment loading and unloading trucks and packing orders. I bounced around 220 for years. I tried actively watching my diet got me under 200 pounds one summer in 1995. I had sunken cheeks, size 33 waist by 32 leg jeans that fell off me if i forgot my belt. I could throw a 40' trailer full of 25-kilo boxes of clothing all night long in summer heat or winter cold.
But the staff nurse checked us annually as part of the presidents physical fitness plan for the blood drives. Bmi 27 says Obese.
I've never been in as good of shape. Navy had told me i was supposed to be 175...maybe if i amputate a leg.
I've put on a hundred pounds since high school. Wish i lost some.
I don't look my weight. I can bench press a transmission. But my bmi now is 40. Yuck.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Termite wrote:Junior Termite(no longer very junior......) is now 5'9", 175#......and has been doing the "rip-it" workout for months. He looks like a Hollywood "Seal Team 6" member......he benches something north of 280#......

And yet the establishment Nutritionist/Dietician/MD community wonders why so many of us don't take them seriously on many things anymore. They turn a blind eye to the demise of expert_God view of them, and the rise the health geek/self maintenance movement fueled by the likes of Dr's Davis, Axe, Mercola and fitness bloggers/self promoters like Asprey/Ferris/Sisson.

The establishment still thinks it should require a scrip from a "professional" to be able to request testing of various body fluids yourself. Seriously, I should have to go to a Doc if i'm just curious about the effect of the recent dietary/activity changes on my cholesterol, thyroid or testosterone (and don't want to wait/pay for the next Doc visit covered by insurance? The scripture is only for the clergy -- and even then only of for the Vatican. All you out in there in the huddled masses need to stand back and trust us that we have read and teach the truth from the Latin copies we hold so closely and above you little people.

A Reformation is underway. The net changes everything.

Undoctored
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

evan price wrote:When i went to join the navy in 89 i was 6'1" tall and weighed 210 lbs. Morbidly obese.
Working for five years in a clothing import warehouse distribution environment loading and unloading trucks and packing orders. I bounced around 220 for years. I tried actively watching my diet got me under 200 pounds one summer in 1995. I had sunken cheeks, size 33 waist by 32 leg jeans that fell off me if i forgot my belt. I could throw a 40' trailer full of 25-kilo boxes of clothing all night long in summer heat or winter cold.
But the staff nurse checked us annually as part of the presidents physical fitness plan for the blood drives. Bmi 27 says Obese.
I've never been in as good of shape. Navy had told me i was supposed to be 175...maybe if i amputate a leg.
I've put on a hundred pounds since high school. Wish i lost some.
I don't look my weight. I can bench press a transmission. But my bmi now is 40. Yuck.
This is odd. I commissioned in 1990 and went through a several training commands and my ships in the 90's (including PTR coordinator on one ship) and while the details changed, it was overall the same. First cut was the height/weight chart and if you were over for that it went to the tape measure method.

I have kicked a few people out for being over weight too, both in active and the later in the reserves and it was always height, weight and tape. Usually had the medical department tape them if they showed over fat when we did them ourselves.

The height and weight charts were not the BMI charts either. I am 6'1" and my max weight on the chart was I want to say 204. Per BMI it is 170 or something like that.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

blackeagle603 wrote:
Termite wrote:Junior Termite(no longer very junior......) is now 5'9", 175#......and has been doing the "rip-it" workout for months. He looks like a Hollywood "Seal Team 6" member......he benches something north of 280#......

And yet the establishment Nutritionist/Dietician/MD community wonders why so many of us don't take them seriously on many things anymore. They turn a blind eye to the demise of expert_God view of them, and the rise the health geek/self maintenance movement fueled by the likes of Dr's Davis, Axe, Mercola and fitness bloggers/self promoters like Asprey/Ferris/Sisson.

The establishment still thinks it should require a scrip from a "professional" to be able to request testing of various body fluids yourself. Seriously, I should have to go to a Doc if i'm just curious about the effect of the recent dietary/activity changes on my cholesterol, thyroid or testosterone (and don't want to wait/pay for the next Doc visit covered by insurance? The scripture is only for the clergy -- and even then only of for the Vatican. All you out in there in the huddled masses need to stand back and trust us that we have read and teach the truth from the Latin copies we hold so closely and above you little people.

A Reformation is underway. The net changes everything.

Undoctored
I've told this story before but it bears repeating.

A couple years ago my cholesterol was 250, my doctor told me to lose weight or he'd put me on statins. If I'm going to destroy my liver I'll do so with single malt scotch, not statins, so over the next four months I dropped 30 pounds, my cholesterol went UP to 270. The script for statins went unfilled, research showed it's.common for cholesterol to go up during weight loss. Four months later, when my weight loss had slowed, my cholesterol was 205, doctor proclaimed the statins a success and was amazed when I told him I wasn't taking them.

Something similar happened to my sister in law, who is not at ALL overweight. When you think about it it makes sense, cholesterol is stores in fat, reduce fat and cholesterol is released into the bloodstream (where it can be measured) and then to the liver for elimination.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Crashed carbs pretty hard since stroke Feb 2015. Down 50 lbs or so. Lean mass up a fair bit. Last bloodwork had textbook ideal Triglyceride/LDL/HDL numbers.

A month ago (18 month post stroke check) with my Neuro Doc I asked about running a 3-4 month test with reduced statin. Told him about some swelling and achi-ness. So he cut me back to 20mg/day from 40mg/day of Avorastatin. I'd really like to just be off it but would prefer to do it with collaboration/agreement from him. There's some indication that post vascular event, there's some statistical benefit to taking a statin. Nevermind it interrupts all manner of necessary enzymatic pathways...

Currently have an empty prescription and haven't been taking any statin for 2 couple weeks now (auto refill didn't happen from the pharmacy, haven't called in a refill yet).
No more swelly ankles at end of day, no more persistent days of achy shoulder/traps/pecs as a result of my 2x/week pullup_pushup_plank_paddleboard work. Pondering whether to call that refill in or to just roll with it another couple months and see what blood looks like at retest end of January.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Precision

Post by Precision »

just looked up my BMI

I am shorter than most on here at 5'9" on a tall day.
I weight a lot less than many as well, right at 160#. My goal weight is 175 with slightly more lean than I am now. But most people ask me how much I work out / how I stay in great shape. Simple, good genetics, don't eat shit food and am high energy output.

At my current I am at the green / yellow border.
Where my goal is, Solidly yellow and looking towards red.
That my friends is dumb. If I can go from 10-12% body fat down to 6-8% bodyfat and gain 15#, I am going to look like a slightly thin Greek God, not a BMI failure.

I was once water tanked at the peak of my fit craze at 2.5% bodyfat. I was Ripped and Looked all swole up until I turned in profile, then I still looked kinda skinny. But I had a 28" waist, 24" thighs, a 42" chest and 16" biceps. Clothes were a bitch to find.

Pic of me from earlier this year.
Nikki's pic of me 3.17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/