Cataract surgery choices - need advice

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Mike OTDP

Cataract surgery choices - need advice

Post by Mike OTDP »

At 54, I'm facing cataract surgery. Left eye in the next few months, right eye in the next year or so. Sucks.

The question I have is which replacement lens to go with for maximum shooting performance. My right eye, which is my sighting eye, has astigmatism. I've got a choice...either a toric lens, which corrects the astigmatism but can't adapt for distance, or an accomodating lens (Bausch & Lomb Crystalens, if it matters) that adapts for distance but does not correct the astigmatism. I don't mind wearing glasses, I've worn them since I was 8. But I need the best possible visual acuity for shooting...something about that World Championship I'm after. Thanks.
308Mike

Re: Cataract surgery choices - need advice

Post by 308Mike »

Can you shoot well while dealing with astigmatism? If so, I'd suggest that would be the way to go. If not, then go the other way, since it appears to be one-or-the-other. Personally, I'd want you to have the best of both, which in your case means compromise one or the other, or perhaps even BOTH of them and take the middle-road.

From the choices given, I don't know.

Regardless, I want the one which does the best for you over time AND provides the most satisfactory performance while you're shooting.

Bottom line: It's YOUR eyes, and OUR decision. NO ONE else can make it for you, no matter how painful it may be!!!

But KNOW this: No matter which choice you make, I will NOT think less of you because you chose to save your eyes over your competitive shooting skills. REALLY!!! How many years have we been acquaintances and never met?? AFAIK, you've not been a liar, cheat, or exaggerator to the point your comments may lead others astray (to MY knowledge). I've ALWAYS been able to trust the comments you've made, which is more than I can say for some others on this forum (not that it's a bad forum, just had a few bad people).

Honesty and integrity have a value all their own, which I believe you know and understand.

I haven't been here much lately, but I doubt you've changed in the last few years while I've been dealing with injuries that have kept me from being online much.

I trust you'll make the best possible decision for not only yourself, but also for what you believe in and follow.

Stay SOLID, my man!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Mike OTDP

Re: Cataract surgery choices - need advice

Post by Mike OTDP »

Thanks. I'm going to talk to the surgeon tomorrow...and may put off a final decision until I talk face-to-face with my shooting optometrist. After a lot of looking around, I'm leaning toward a toric. The surgeon said I was on the margin for a Crystalens in the right eye (OK for the left), but both eyes needed the same sort of lens.