R&B / Blues Music

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MiddleAgedKen

Re: R&B / Blues Music

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

randy wrote:
Weetabix wrote:The Blues Brothers Band! Hmph!

Bunch a wanna be players
Steve Cropper. Duck Dunn (RIP). Matt Murphy. Tom Malone. Lou Marini.

Wannabes? Ooohkay then. :P

Anyway...what kinda R&B you want? Little more polished, go Detroit: Temptations, Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Four Tops, Jackson 5.

Little more elemental, go Memphis: Sam and Dave, Otis Redding, Eddie Floyd, Joe Tex, Booker T and the MGs, Wilson Pickett

If you want to go sideways, get some Gram Parsons, especially The Gilded Palace of Sin, the first Flying Burrito Brothers album. Parsons' idea was "Cosmic American Music," fusing country, country rock, and R&B. I was playing the album in the car once, and "Do Right Woman" and "Dark End of the Street" played, and my lovely wife said, "What is this -- The Commitments go country?" :lol:

Speaking of, Bobby Womack put out a pretty good country record called B.W. Does C&W. Legend has it Womack wanted to call it...something else.

But that is a tale for another time. ;)
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

MiddleAgedKen wrote:Steve Cropper. Duck Dunn (RIP). Matt Murphy. Tom Malone. Lou Marini.

Wannabes? Ooohkay then. :P
Can't remember about the others, but Matt Murphy played with Muddy Waters on records and in live performances. If he's good enough for Muddy, he's good enough for me.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Understand that in some parts of the country (NYC and NJ especially) R&B means "anything sung by black people". I've seen Sade, Whitney Houson, Luther Vandross and 2 Live Crew referred to as R&B.

For the NYC folks, CD 101.9 should rot in Hell.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

I've passed on all the information and she's in the process of digesting it!!

THANKS for ALL the info - it's a lot to review and consider!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Jered

Post by Jered »

John Lee Hooker?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Jered wrote:John Lee Hooker?
She said that would be one she'd add to the list of artists to be included. THANKS for the heads-up!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Better try Lightnin' Hopkins, then, too.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Weetabix wrote:Better try Lightnin' Hopkins, then, too.
Ayup. Maybe also Big Bill Broonzy, Rev. Gary Davis, and Blind Willie McTell.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Basically, look up the cameos to both blues brothers movies, and check their music on you tube. My personal preference is the migration years- late delta/early Chicago stuff.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt