Just got my copy of Mom's DNR paperwork.

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Old Grafton

Re: Just got my copy of Mom's DNR paperwork.

Post by Old Grafton »

Hard to plan for, harder to face....very sorry.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

You have my sympathies.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I'm very sorry.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Thanks, y'all. At this point, I'm really just wanting it to be done with. Mom's been effectively gone already for most of the year, it's just that her body hasn't caught up with her mind. She can (usually) respond to the question "How are you doing?" with a coherent-ish answer, but anything else, she responds by repeating back part of what you said.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

My sincere sympathy. My own Mom had similar issues near the end of her life. I hope you can find strength and comfort in the days to come.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I've been there with my dad, you've got all my sympathy. As I said to someone who said she could imagine it's rough, 'the imagination runs short'.
God bless.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Grace and comfort to you.

Feel ya, went down that road with my wife's mom. My sis is a hospice nurse, hope she's got tender caregivers like that in her final days.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
g-man

Post by g-man »

That sucks. Saw this the first day you posted it, and haven’t been able to bring myself to post. Dad doesn’t have a DNR yet, but does already have an advanced directive specifying no feeding tube. I was fine discussing that bit with him until he said he hopes he’s lucid enough to understand and remember the choice when it comes time to enforce it, given the Parkinson’s. Kept my shit together for the rest of the phone call, but it was really, really dusty in the truck all of a sudden. Grace and peace, brother.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Mom went to the hospital yesterday, having trouble with aspirating food. The Alzheimer's and Parkinson's has progressed to the point she can't handle solid food. Good news, bad news. Good news, mom's coming home from the hospital tonight. Bad news, she's coming back as hospice care.
Last edited by Cybrludite on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

So sorry to hear this, wish there was more I could say than "You have my sympathies:. Please let us know if there's anything we can do.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom