Hip Replacement Surgery

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
308Mike

Hip Replacement Surgery

Post by 308Mike »

Folks,

How many of you have had hip replacements, and how did they go, and how are they doing now? Apparently, my hip joints weren't formed properly and instead of a ball joint at the end of my femur, mine is more oblong and has worn out my hip joints FAR sooner than would have been normally expected. BOTH of my hip joints are bone-on-bone with SEVERE arthritis.

Of course, working out all the time (when I was younger), and training for triathlons, competing, riding my bike to work and back (16 miles each way including some large hills), etc., etc., certainly didn't help the situation any - but how was I supposed to know in my 20's-40's??? I had no knowledge that my hips were out of whack, as they seemed to work just fine all those years. Little did I know I was heading for early hip replacement surgeries.

For those of you who've had hip replacements, what questions should I ask the surgeon at the pre-surgery consultation? The way things are going, it looks like I won't be having the surgery until after the new year (we heard they're pretty booked up).

Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!!

THANKS!!

EDIT: For those who'd prefer to discuss this offline via email or over the phone, you can text me your email address to: 619742764 @ vtextDELETE.com (remove the spaces and the obvious delete for the auto web-bots searching for addresses to spam).
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
ShooterScott

Re: Hip Replacement Surgery

Post by ShooterScott »

My father had both of his hips replaced 2 years ago and he is doing great. He has no pain, which is the reason he had gotten it in the first place, and is more mobile than ever. It's amazing what they are doing these days with joint replacement. Also, he was able to walk almost right away, which is insane.
Ex Coast Guard, Full time assistant cook, part time blogger
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Shit man, didn't you have to get cut on not all that long ago? Sorry to hear that. Wife of a cow-orker had either double knee or hip replacement (I forget which) a couple years ago, which the doctors tried to talk her out of because they said she was too young. They wanted her to wait until she was old enough, that she wouldn't be looking at getting it done again later. But her quality of life was basically nil, so she went ahead with it anyway and from what I understand is very glad that she did, even if she is possibly looking at having problems again someday.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The problem is that the replacement joint has a 20-25 year service life, and you can't do it twice on the same joint. There are things that they can do to tighten up one that's worn out, but it's almost as bad as the original surgery, and only adds a few years to the use of it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

First Shirt wrote:The problem is that the replacement joint has a 20-25 year service life, and you can't do it twice on the same joint. There are things that they can do to tighten up one that's worn out, but it's almost as bad as the original surgery, and only adds a few years to the use of it.
I'm not so sure about that, since I've heard of folks having more than one surgery on the same hip, especially to replace defective components/parts. I know that's generally true about knees, which is why I haven't had my left knee replaced yet (which is also bone-on-bone).

NPR: my most recent surgery was due to my 8' ladder collapsing under me while I was on it, dropping me onto the trunk of my car and then the ground - destroying my right shoulder rotator cuff (with which I still have problems, including chronic pain). Unfortunately, the ladder manufacturer had gone through bankruptcy in 2007 (several years before my ladder collapsed), which discharged all future liabilities for their products. I got screwed on that deal.

I'm telling ya', the first indication I started getting old was after 40 when I lost my EXCELLENT 20-15 vision, especially when trying to read things like circuit boards and such and suddenly I started needing reading glasses or a magnifying glass to read that small print. My joints are falling apart now. :( :( :(

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Anyone else have any input or tips?

blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Well since you asked...
Chris isn't here anymore so I reckon is safe to suggest without getting shouted down and called names.

First address what wore it out in the first place (gait, postural alignment -- feel free to talk to me about Egoscue Method).
See about stem cell Therapy from (relatively) local to us Regenexx.

https://www.regenexx.com/
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Unfortunately, the treatment I need is NOT FDA approved, which means the insurance companies won't pick it up (including Kaiser). There's no way in Hell that we can afford to pay for such treatments and/or travel out of the country. The damage I have is more complicated by bone spurs and other issues related to malformed joints and overuse. But I'll give you a buzz sometime to discuss the other item.

EDIT: In any event, my surgery won't be until after the beginning of the year.