Going to California

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
g-man

Going to California

Post by g-man »

Got my (corrected) RFO, and submitted my packet to get hard-copy orders cut... heading to Travis AFB / Fairfield CA. Finishing up with my current gig at the end of July, then it'll be a quick caravan across the country, so I don't burn any leave enroute. Have been doing plenty of reading on the CA gun laws (spit!) and other than my >10rd magazines, I'm straight on the firearms front. Current route planning has us bolting as straight across as we can, running ~350 mi/day between RV parks: https://goo.gl/maps/tUzJq3KsnM22

Things we're learning:
-Apparently rentals in CA don't generally come with fridges. Unlike everywhere else we've ever lived. So we bought a used one here and the movers can deal with it.
-Finding rentals is much harder, as stuff is going stupid fast out there.
-BAH drops ~$400/mo, but the average rent in the area is higher, as is the cost of living. Yay.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
blackeagle603

Re: Going to California

Post by blackeagle603 »

Most excellent. We welcome all new taxpayers.

And do plan on making a run to San Dog for some family fun. Hookups on my place waiting for you.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

What's with all you road-tripping guys missing my corner of the world? :lol:

If any routes change and you find yourself on I-44 through SW Missouri, give me a ring. I'd buy you breakfast, lunch, or dinner any time between about 7 AM and 11 PM.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Yeah, that!

Same about down here in the Sonoran desert.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

I was gonna say: "Get ready for crazy stupid traffic anywhere between Gilroy Sacramento" but then I remembered you ride a motorcycle. ;-)

The motorcycling is excellent in CA. The Sacramento area can get hot but head towards the coast or into the mountains and "we have so many wonderful things to show you". Avoid the superslabs and find the alternative little two-laners ..... wonderful.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

TheArmsman wrote:Yeah, that!

I knew we were in fly-over country. Must be drive-around country, too. ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Precision

Post by Precision »

TheArmsman wrote:Yeah, that!

hey, we visited you two.

And Dawn very distinctly said, when we go back out West in a few years, we should treat YOU to dinner. Sigh. Although I think she wanted that BBQ more than anything else. Now that I think of it, I should have had you Fed Ex me some the day she went to hospice. That would have really made her smile.

I guess at some point you will have to deal with just me.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

I tried the great circle tour route, but it fell apart.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
g-man

Post by g-man »

Got hard-copy orders in hand, and we have a house. Rent is higher than here, so compounded with the lower BAH.. ugh. Submitted the request for scheduling the movers to the Personal Property Office, to include the partial DiTY for the bikes, guns, and other stuff I don't want the contract gorillas handling. They currently have availability for the beginning of July, so our request for the end of July should be fine. We. Shall. See.

The routing was merely an effect of wanting to get across as fast as reasonable with a 1-y/o, a 3-y/o, 2 dogs, and a cat, plus not wanting to burn leave since we're going to AK for 2 weeks in late September so my wife can be in a wedding. Finally got my leave balance healthy again, and the AK trip will burn off the use-or-lose, and we want to be able to take a couple of RV trips in and around NorCal while we're there. The timing also means I likely won't be able to be 'on-path' for the 21 August total solar eclipse, which is a kick in the junk. Still going to talk it over with the boss there to take a single day that Monday, but who knows.
g-man

Post by g-man »

Packers started today. Husband and wife crew that appears to be on track to get the three day pack up done in two. Assuming that happens, we'll have a "free day" on Wednesday before the truck comes on Thursday. Which means we'll have a chance to get the RV trailer organized, and get the full weight for the car and cargo trailer. I estimated we'd be moving 3k lbs, and I think we're going to be pretty close to that.