LEOSA or HR 218

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

LEOSA or HR 218

Post by Precision »

I have been tempted to become a reserve LEO for some time now, primarily as a method to become eligible for LEOSA. It was not practical to do it as Dawn's health declined and the certainty of my residential location was suspect. Now that it looks like I am putting down roots in Nashville -- and a local agency asked me if I would be interested. The agency by all accounts is NOT run like Metro Nashville by PC, petty tyrants, so It should be good.

Does anyone have any experience with the concept, pitfalls and all that.

I may start the process in June.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Re: LEOSA or HR 218

Post by BDK »

:lol: How do they feel about out of state dessert cooks?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

LOL. They are going to end up with the best damn cafeteria of any law enforcement agency in the state.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Do it. Its the best free education you'll get about people and why they make some of the decisions they make you'll ever get. I'm not sure how your state does it, but in LA reserves were identical to full time officers, you just didn't get paid. If your state is one of the "we don't trust our Reserves with firearms" states, find somewhere else to volunteer.

You can likely put any idea of swat right out of your head. Reserve Officer looks bad in headlines. You can, however, bounce around with a greater degree of flexibility than full timers have. I worked Street Crimes and Uniformed Patrol mostly. It will also give you access to details, which can add a good bit to your income. If the agency that talked with you is an SO, be aware that Sheriffs hand out Reserve Commissions like candy to people who can bring in votes. It doesn't take much to outshine this deadweight as the ONLY time you'll ever see them is if you pull one over. You can also tag along on local training. I got to train on SIMRAD KN200/KN250 just because I was available and one of our training guys thought I'd get a kick out of it.

Make sure they issue you armor. Do not go all John Wayne and risk it. Wear it. I know a guy that keeps his in his trunk. "He'll know when he needs to put it on...." Yeah. Gonna get a phone call about him one day. Know the saying women like to throw around about how a guy cannot possibly know how relieving it is to take off a bra after a long, hot day? You'll know after a 12 hour shift in kevlar in summer time. That thing is miserable, but its better than a sucking chest wound. Wear it anyway.

They may make you purchase your own firearm. Keep magazine and ammo commonality with your shift in mind.

Make sure to qualify with one of your ARs. This is a "Patrol Rifle" qualification. Departments used to not like this idea of not SWAT getting qualified with this, but a bunch of mass shootings in the last decade are changing that.

There may be a requirement for you to work in the jail for a bit. I blatantly ignored this and started on the road immediately. Get creative.

That's about all I have at the moment. Feel free to get specific.
BDK

Post by BDK »

State hell. Precision's been kind enough to share a handful of ideas and I know how good I am. It would be best in the South, at least. :lol:
Precision

Post by Precision »

Steamforger:

The local agency I am interested in provides 95% authority to reservists. They prefer you don't arrest, especially if a full time officer is around. You get a gun... and all the other job items. Yes, I will wear body armor. The minimum to stay current is 8 hours per month. I will likely do that with some random pick up shifts here and there. Zero interest in SWAT.

Most of the work is overflow for crowd control, events, protestor corralling... some ride alongs and the like.

I think I will make the official request this week.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

We did some local football games and festivals. I couldn't help but work these, but that was ok. The Italian Festival in Independence is basically Thunderdome. Strawberry Festival in Ponchy is chaos just because of the sheer numbers of people and 3/4 of them are "3 sheets to the wind and lookin' for sail." Most everybody in the department was working them anyway.

I think I got through the first 20 minutes of my first road shift before arresting a guy for tuning up his wife. We were 100%, but that department's preference for you to not arrest will go a long way in keeping you from lots of court dates.

I'd say spend some time in different divisions. Rotate around and get a taste for a few different things then do what you like. I loved the regular uniformed shift. I had absolutely zero interest in working narcotics.

8 hours per month is pretty easy. You'll likely find you're doing much more once you get up to speed.

BTW, if you haven't had the pleasure of pepper spray yet, standby... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jered

Post by Jered »

Make sure you ask for Vexor pepper spray, too.

:lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Jered wrote:Make sure you ask for Vexor pepper spray, too.

:lol:
I received Freeze +P.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I don't know what I got, but, I carry vexor.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.