Custom Built House?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Vonz90

Custom Built House?

Post by Vonz90 »

So has anyone here had one built? The wife and I are kicking around the idea of buying 20-40 acres and building a house to get some more Lebensraum as it were. (Oddly the wife's idea originally but no arguments from me.)

The operable question is cost to build and that is rather opaque. There is an online calculator I found but how reliable is that? Also thought about the modular ones, but while those are supposedly less expensive, they are also even less transparent on price that I can see.

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Denis

Re: Custom Built House?

Post by Denis »

We didn't build, we renovated, but my experience was that it's well worth the price of a retainer for an architect for planning, drawing and cost-estimation work. If you keep the architect on for the actual building works, ensure contractually that it's their job to make sure that the works stay on time and under budget.
Termite

Post by Termite »

I found that when building (insert whatever structure here) ____________________, carefully figure up how much it will cost, then increase your budget by AT LEAST 20%.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Rich

Post by Rich »

Termite wrote:I found that when building (insert whatever structure here) ____________________, carefully figure up how much it will cost, then increase your budget by AT LEAST 20%.
Yeah, graft don't come cheap. :roll:
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Construction loans are generally higher rates than typical mortgages, and cost estimates are always low, and completion dates are never made.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I've been in the residential construction game for 30 years as a builder/contractor/remodeler.

I have three words of advice for you: References, references, references.

Call local lumberyards to find reputable builders w. good credit. Ask the builders for multiple references and, more importantly, ask to see their work in person. There are a lot of fucking scumbags in this business. I get underbid by them all the time. Quality costs $$. Good builders are worth the $$.

And, as a general rule, at least around here, modular homes are shit. They are built in factories in PA by $9 an hour idiots.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

We built our house three years ago. Used an architect for the design and plans. Mostly redesigned the house three times. There are things we would do differently today.

The house was built fully ADA. Handrail backers are in place but rails not installed.

LED lighting throughout.

Mini-split heat pumps.

Steel roof.

Demand water heaters.

Great contractor. Less than 10% over his bid, except our upgrades.

Do you homework.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
BDK

Post by BDK »

Right is Right, where are you located?
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

BDK wrote:Right is Right, where are you located?
Lovely NJ