Safety Warden Training Today

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

Safety Warden Training Today

Post by MarkD »

I'm a deputy fire warden in my office, and today we had our mandatory annual training. This year the training included active-shooter training.

They started with the "statistic" that active shooter situations have increased every year for the last 20 years (meaning they just changed the definition of what constitutes an active shooter). Then the advice was Run, Hide or Fight. Run away if you can, hide and barricade if you can't, and fight back if you have to. This being NYC the only discussion of fighting back was to improvise weapons (they suggest the fire extinguisher). Oh, they also reminded us that we have armed security and metal detectors in the lobby who will of course prevent this from happening. Yeah, our armed security is ONE guard with a .38 revolver in a holster, meaning he'll be victim #1.

Yeah, I've already wargamed such a scenario just in case.
Odahi

Re: Safety Warden Training Today

Post by Odahi »

We have "guards," most of whom are either too fat to chase anything more elusive than a donut, or so feeble they would need help to carry said donut. A while back, we received word that we would have a few armed State Troopers to augment our "security force." So, even more emphasis on lockdown and shelter in place. I'm just really glad we're more likely to be the target of another espionage incident than an active shooter. I couldn't get a carry permit with a bag full of cash and evidence of a maniacal stalker, and even if I had one, there is a "No weapons, no way, no how," policy. I just keep telling myself I'll be all right. I'll use a guard as a human shield. :)
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Yeah, the advice could be summed up as "Crawl under your desk, put your head firmly between your legs, and kiss your ass goodbye."
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

There are a couple of people at work that I would trust behind me with a firearm. Company policy says that a firearm brought onto company property must remain locked in the vehicle, and mine are. But the people I trust also know that I *always* lock my vehicle except for that one day I stupidly forgot to do it, which would be the day they needed access to said hardware.

We call it our "Mutual Defense Treaty."
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote:Run away if you can, hide and barricade if you can't, and fight back if you have to.
Thats pretty good advice, whether armed or not.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:
MarkD wrote:Run away if you can, hide and barricade if you can't, and fight back if you have to.
No.argument. my problem was the suggestion of fighting back with improvised weapons, because NYC.
Denis

Post by Denis »

MarkD wrote:
HTRN wrote:
No.argument. my problem was the suggestion of fighting back with improvised weapons, because NYC.
This is a "teachable moment". Most people, including most "progressives", will accept that it's OK to fight back against an attacking amok shooter or a terrorist if flight or concealment aren't an option.

Most people will also accept that it's OK to throw hard objects at such an attacker.
How about throwing them very fast?
Even if they might hurt the attacker?

Now if I knew of a commonly-available item which is portable and allows anybody, even the weak, slow, elderly or disabled to throw small hard objects at an attacker very fast, would it be OK to use that?

It's called a p... i... s...t... o... l :-)
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Someone asked me once why I carry a handgun, and I told them "It's because I can't throw a half-ounce rock at 900 feet per second."
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

This video is making the rounds--not an active shooter, but a robbery. Look closely at the guy's gun:

https://youtu.be/2xdtZ-ZksDc

What would you do?
Eppur si muove--Galileo
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

This is the video we saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

I note that the Vin Diesel-lookalike is packing a stockless 12 gauge pump that recoils less than my .22. And everyone falls down dead as soon as they're shot.