Safety Warden Training Today

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rustyv

Re: Safety Warden Training Today

Post by Rustyv »

MarkD wrote:This is the video we saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

I note that the Vin Diesel-lookalike is packing a stockless 12 gauge pump that recoils less than my .22. And everyone falls down dead as soon as they're shot.
We had to watch the same video during our annual safety quals. HR rep made the mistake of asking a room full of people who dig trenches, construct buildings, and go hunting on the weekend what we thought of the video...

45 minutes into a 15 minute session, after war gaming the scenario, we all voted that the construction foreman had the best counterattack plan, involving off label use of a spud wrench, and gratutious application of a fire extinguisher and a skillsaw.

Rep left red faced, saying we we missed the point.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

If it's just me, I'll probably play the run/hide/fight game. Depending on who else is in danger, that will change. As JAG2955 once said, "I'll engage with a pair of dirty socks, if that's all I've got."
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Mark, are they paying you extra to do the warden gig?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:Mark, are they paying you extra to do the warden gig?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

"Anything worth doing, is worth doing for money" ~HTRN

In other words, dont work for free. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

HTRN wrote:Mark, are they paying you extra to do the warden gig?
Been there, done that. Silly question. Not in theory, but in practice.

At my last job in NJ I spent some time with a role in the fire safety plan. We were a group of contractors with our own small office space in someone else's building. Our site manager (for our group) was an assistant warden for the floor, and I was basically 'seeker', my job was to search our office to find anyone who might be 'left behind' and move them along.

We were salaried to begin with, and we were doing this partly in our own interest and partly to maintain good will with the actual site owners (our distant collective employers). Good luck getting paid extra for that.

As an aside, active shooter training had rather a different feel at that workplace. It was an FRB installation, with billions of dollars of cash onsite (it's the place where all the banks in NYC keep their extra cash, if that tells you anything, the cash vault itself would have been a large multistory building if it were freestanding) and many, many armed law enforcement officers as security. It was more 'sit tight through the raid/attack until reinforcements arrive', with a few extra tips on not getting in the way of the response.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:"Anything worth doing, is worth doing for money" ~HTRN

In other words, dont work for free. :ugeek:
Considering that my fire warden duties are done during my regular.work day, and that when I'm wardening I'm not programming, they do pay me. Since I'm a consultant I'm the second most highly paid warden in our office in terms of.dollars per hour spent by the client. Number one being my manager who's also a.warden. We won't get into what fraction of my billing rate ends up in my paycheck though.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Rustyv wrote:
MarkD wrote:This is the video we saw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcSwejU2D0

I note that the Vin Diesel-lookalike is packing a stockless 12 gauge pump that recoils less than my .22. And everyone falls down dead as soon as they're shot.
We had to watch the same video during our annual safety quals. HR rep made the mistake of asking a room full of people who dig trenches, construct buildings, and go hunting on the weekend what we thought of the video...

45 minutes into a 15 minute session, after war gaming the scenario, we all voted that the construction foreman had the best counterattack plan, involving off label use of a spud wrench, and gratutious application of a fire extinguisher and a skillsaw.

Rep left red faced, saying we we missed the point.
I'm sure you did miss the point he was trying to make. I'm confident you did get the more important point.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.