Name change

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Cobar

Re: Name change

Post by Cobar »

Greg wrote:My last name is a simple German name that was changed to an 'English' spelling and I grew up with nobody being able to spell or pronounce it. Which was the point. Oh, well.
Same problem here.
randy

Post by randy »

Greg wrote:
BDK wrote:Lots of folks used to Anglicanize their names.
This is true, and always worth bearing in mind. It's an honorable tradition.
Not really anglicanization, but...

Had a postman as a kid who's name was Crowel. Seems the family name was Cromwell until around 1660 or so. (No relation he was aware of, just not a healthy name to have in England at the time).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

My surname an English name. I caught absolute hell early in school, because it's a common adverb. My first stepfather convinced my Mom that she should have my sister and me use his German last name. I was so happy to go back to my "real" name. I've gotten thousands of people making jokes about my name, almost always good-natured, but it's still a little annoying. Only ONE person in the last 30 years has come up with an original take on it. My usual response is, "Gee, I've never heard THAT one before!" in a voice dripping with sarcasm. I don't know what is wrong with people who intentionally give their children "cute" names. Really, Christopher Cross? North West? Moon Unit or Dweezil? Yeah, they'll never catch hell from the understanding and loving children around them. :roll: I'm used to my name, and so is Mrs. O, I don't think I'll be changing it. It's mine, and I'm going to keep it.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote: Had a postman as a kid who's name was Crowel. Seems the family name was Cromwell until around 1660 or so. (No relation he was aware of, just not a healthy name to have in England at the time).
It's a shitty name to have been stuck with anywhere at any time.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Cobar wrote:
Greg wrote:My last name is a simple German name that was changed to an 'English' spelling and I grew up with nobody being able to spell or pronounce it. Which was the point. Oh, well.
Same problem here.
Ha! Mine is Scots Gaelic, complete with syllables that aren't in any kind of sane spelling. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

My last name also had it's spelling and pronunciation adjusted to conform with the dominant local language. Of course the switch was from low German to high German and it happened in the mid 1500.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

How about Kiester Puckett?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

AHeywood Jablowme?! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

My parents didn't think that anyone would shorten Jonathan to Jon, nor did they think anyone would draw a connection to the fact that we have the same surname as the first American in orbit. When I introduce myself, I've gotten in the habit of of saying, "No relation" after giving my name. I ever get any scribbling to the publishing stage, I'll be using my middle name in place of my last.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Could just use one from Obama's birth certificate. :mrgreen:
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964