new traveling job

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
slowpoke

Re: new traveling job

Post by slowpoke »

Durham68 wrote:
pbnuc wrote:Thanks Blackeagle and every one else. Really Looking for the day to day survival on the road. Will have company truck traveling around south east US. Living in hotels etc.. quite different than past 20 years working at same plant. Don't look forward to walking home from Memphis after EMP but you never know. I don't know how I am going to handle travel after so long in one place (baring vacations ).
Good flashlight and some basic understanding of where to look for bedbugs in your hotel room. Drop your bags in the tub and search the room before unpacking. Seriously.
Where to find the understanding of where to look?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
BDK

Post by BDK »

https://www.thoughtco.com/travelers-gui ... ls-1968425

I usually travel with my pelican roller case as my suitcase.

If it's not mentioned in the article, check pillows as well.

If possible, see about getting a mounted, good quality tool box of some kind in your truck.

Aside from MB/perhaps other German cars, auto locks should not be viewed as a security measure, if you will be carrying tools of value, etc

I don't know if you will have proprietary information on you - my computer/documents/etc are either locked up securely, or go with me.

Lots of food plants, for some odd reason, are "gun free" with security which does vehicle inspections. A locked case may help - I've always talked around it (it is the South and I am an educated white man)
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

BDK wrote:https://www.thoughtco.com/travelers-gui ... ls-1968425

I usually travel with my pelican roller case as my suitcase.

If it's not mentioned in the article, check pillows as well.
In addition to the places described in the article, I check all the furniture and any seam I can find in the room such as where the carpet meets the wall and electrical outlets (yes they can fit behind an ill-fitting cover). There are pest control guys on youtube that walk you through the process.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
pbnuc

Post by pbnuc »

Thanks. I was aware of the bedbug problem- just had not thought about it in context of this job. Pelican case is good idea. I do not know how I am going to seal with CC yet. I do not know companies policy and like someone noted , a lot of plants are gun free zones. Any other suggestion on securing truck in parking lot, keeping computers , meters tool from walking. Knack or greenlee job box might be in order.
BDK

Post by BDK »

I'd pick your tool bag/kit first - and probably a roller one, as plants can get big in a hurry - then find something that can hold you gear in a tidy fashion.

Will the company be issuing the vehicle?
pbnuc

Post by pbnuc »

Company will issue vehicle. I do not know any more than that. I just wanted some advice , after time in the navy, I have not moved around a lot. Vacations are one thing , living on road 3-4 day a week will be different. Bed bug info was great because I had not thought about that in context of new job. I have to dust off NOOK girlfriend bought me, and load it up. I traveled lite in navy, I can do again.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Any time I go on a road trip, I game it out, figuring worst case scenario, as to "how will I get home." Most of it is pretty useless, because the shite hasn't hit the rotary wind current generator, yet. But it's an interesting exercise, nonetheless.

Then again, I'm one of those people who believe that contingency plan F is not a waste of time and effort. JMHO, YMMV, IRDDU.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

pbnuc wrote:I have to dust off NOOK girlfriend bought me, and load it up.
I went to Project Gutenberg, and downloaded hundreds of books in epub format.

I got this software: Calibre

I loaded all the books to my Calibre library, edited titles and authors a bit as necessary for clarity, then uploaded them to my Nook.

If you have an additional card in it, you can direct whether you want the book in the Nook storage or on the card. I put it all on the card so I could back it up more easily.

My nook goes with me whenever I travel.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

My Samsung tablet traveled with me constantly too, with Aldiko reader, Kindle reader and Calibre, until Amazon seduced me with the Kindle HD8 with maxed out memory at a very affordable cost. Now it's my Kindle with Aldiko (for ePub) and Calibre. Of course, I've lost B&N as a download site, but Baen for ePubs works just fine.

Reason I mention this is because B&N seems to have problems with Nook now and then. :?
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
randy

Post by randy »

I'm another one that brings along a tablet loaded with books everywhere I go (Aldiko, Caliber, Kindle App).

I also have about 30GB of music on the SD Card along with the IHeart Radio app ( Basic free version. Nice for keeping up on doings in the home town by listening to their radio stations while traveling) and the Sirius XM app(I pay a subscription, but one covers all my devices and my truck.) The new tablet (Galaxy Tab A) even has a built in FM radio.

Pretty much listen to the APPs unless I'm somewhere with no internet (airplane) then to the SD Card using AIMP. Even when traveling in the truck and having tunes on the road, it's nice not to be limited to whatever the clock radio in the hotel room can pick up.

Give me Books and Tunes, and we can wing all the trivial stuff like clothes, luggage, etc.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".