Been away. Long story short...

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Dub_James

Been away. Long story short...

Post by Dub_James »

Last June my client decided to end its relationship with my employer. Figured I needed to start looking for alternative employment, which proved correct in August when my employer notified me my end date would be end of November, as part of an "Resource Action". Many thousands were affected.

Finished with the client at the end of September, helped with another project through October, and collected my final paycheck and severance in early December. Unemployment is not fun, btw.

A couple of people who'd worked for the client but moved on to another company had submitted resumes for me. Didn't hear much through December, figured it was cold. Got an email for interviews happening from one of them in early January. They interviewed me for an ITSM role, even though the interviews were related to security positions. Got an offer at the end of January. They do mostly government contract work, so it took most all of February to get the clearance sorted. Been there a couple of weeks (this is the start of week 3), good people, relaxed environment, and hopefully a solid career (I'm assuming so, since it's government department work).

I've arranged with my Manager to work from home as much as I need to (location is about 50 mins travel away). Settling in, looking forward to see what shape this role will take, and perhaps get some involvement with other government work.

So that's been my distraction for the last 8-9 months. What have you lot been up to?
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Jered

Re: Been away. Long story short...

Post by Jered »

I moved to Montana from the People's Soviet of Washington last december.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Glad you are back and that things seem to be tracking well. I moved into a new house a few hundred yards due north from my old one a couple weeks ago and things are still a mess here. The new place has a good sized garage/shop, but I am currently paralyzed by extreme shed deficiency since all of the stuff that was in my oversize shed at the old place is in the new shop. Also really missing the vaulted ceiling and storage loft of the old shop. I'm making progress, but once the old house sells and the snow melts, I should be able to do more extensive work over here.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Very glad to hear your income stream is restored; that can be worrisome for sure. I went thru a period in the 80's where I had 4 new jobs in 5 years with long periods of unemployment in between. Industrial collapse in Ohio put a lot of us in the same fix. That experience is what ultimately encouraged me to self-employ; been secure (? is anybody, really?) ever since.

Been finishing up a trio of BM59 rifles. Nobody seems to have any stripper clip guides for 'em so I ran a batch of about 50 on the CNC mill. Looks like an opportunity.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Good to see you back and good to hear about the employment. I was in those straits between about 2009-2010, so I understand your pain.

Let's see... first grandchild on the way. In the middle of trying to get a new roof. Damn, but that's spendy.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Glad to see a lot of familiar faces are still here, and doing pretty well! :)
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Still stuck in my dead-end phoney-baloney government job. Harrumph.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

TGIM - having a job is good and I am glad you have that worked out (unless I guess one is rich, it which case I suppose it does not matter).
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Kinda funny to be at home again, even after only a couple of weeks being onsite. Every now and then today "Am I unemployed again???" jumped into my head :lol:
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Same-old, same-old here. Still working graveyard in the Medical IS salt mines. A job so glamorous that have to keep reminding the ladies that I already have someone who sees me as being just like a brother. :lol:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.