Tool Storage Chests

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

Tool Storage Chests

Post by MarkD »

2017 is the year I finally get my garage organized. I made a start on it last weekend, I went to Horror Freight and bought some of those spring-things to hold sockets, so I can now get whatever one I need without digging thru a pile of mixed sockets. Next I want to get a rolling tool chest, and I saw one also at Horror Freight which looks like it would work:

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-stora ... 61609.html

It's big enough to store everything I have (with commonly used stuff to be stored on a pegboard attached to the wall), and small enough to fit in the space I have for it in the garage. And the price is right.

Anyone familiar with this chest or others from HF?

I know it's likely not the best quality, but I don't foresee it getting a lot of abuse, and I don't want to spend much more than that if I can help it.
Denis

Re: Tool Storage Chests

Post by Denis »

Do you have Aldi?

I bought two "Workzone" brand roller storage chests from Aldi Germany when they were the weekly special offer, and I couldn't be happier, unless I had bought two more. Really nice, sturdy construction, and reasonably priced - about 150 bucks each.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I was in Horror Freight the other day and was looking at the US General stuff. Most of it was "Beer Can" constructed garbage. One seemed ok. The drawer weight capacity was something like 50+ lbs on the only one I would have considered, so I'd say if you insist on Horror Freight, go for the heaviest weight capacity you can with the US General boxes and chests.

Some forums I briefly searched seem to like them more than Hencho en Mexico Craftsman boxes.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Second get the heavy duty with ball bearing slides. Cheap tool storage isn't worth it. The cheap thin stuff feels cheap and thin and wobbly.
I had a Craftsman drawer slide bracket fail the spot welds and drop a drawer. Their quality is hit or miss.
For the price difference the heavy duty HF stuff is cheaper and as good or better. Make sure you use every discount coupon you can.
I have Homak roll around top and bottom. Bought it before ball bearing slides were a thing. It's been through things. I've thought about upgrading to bigger and BB slides but a thousand bucks is inertia to overcome.

Snappy or Mac will be ten times the price.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Steamforger wrote:I was in Horror Freight the other day and was looking at the US General stuff. Most of it was "Beer Can" constructed garbage. One seemed ok. The drawer weight capacity was something like 50+ lbs on the only one I would have considered, so I'd say if you insist on Horror Freight, go for the heaviest weight capacity you can with the US General boxes and chests.

Some forums I briefly searched seem to like them more than Hencho en Mexico Craftsman boxes.
I looked at a bunch of different options, as my kennedy box at work is too small at this point. 1) The run of the mill HF boxes seem to be better quality than the run of the mill Craftsman boxes, but Craftsman pro line seems to be significantly better, at a much higher price. 2) Husky just introduced a new blacked out box set for 700 for the 52 inch, and a grand for the 54 inch, that seems to be decent quality, at a sane price point. Its probably what im going to upgrade to. 3) None of these are as heavily built as a Snap On, Matco, Kennedy, etc setup, but theyre also like less than a fifth the price
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

FYI, Sears apparently just sold the Craftsman line to Stanley/Black & Decker. This is probably not a bad thing since Stanley is at least a tool company (Proto is one of their brands), and these days Craftsman fits in with what Sears has become like a foot in a glove. But no idea what is going to happen with the product line or the warranty as yet.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

HTRN wrote:
Steamforger wrote:I was in Horror Freight the other day and was looking at the US General stuff. Most of it was "Beer Can" constructed garbage. One seemed ok. The drawer weight capacity was something like 50+ lbs on the only one I would have considered, so I'd say if you insist on Horror Freight, go for the heaviest weight capacity you can with the US General boxes and chests.

I looked at a bunch of different options, as my kennedy box at work is too small at this point. 1) The run of the mill HF boxes seem to be better quality than the run of the mill Craftsman boxes, but Craftsman pro line seems to be significantly better, at a much higher price. 2) Husky just introduced a new blacked out box set for 700 for the 52 inch, and a grand for the 54 inch, that seems to be decent quality, at a sane price point. Its probably what im going to upgrade to. 3) None of these are as heavily built as a Snap On, Matco, Kennedy, etc setup, but theyre also like less than a fifth the price
That's still WELL over my budget though, and way bigger than I need.

I'm pretty much in the $300 to $400 price point, and need to store your basic Craftman tool set (sockets, wrenches, etc). Right now my tools are in two toolboxes, one three drawer and one two-drawer, and a big toolbox of my Dad's that opens on top (and everything is just piled in the bottom. The three drawer has most of the sockets and wrenches (box, combo and open-end), and that sucker weighs a bloody TON, so wheels would be nice. I'll keep the boxes in case I need to take tools with me someplace, but they'll mostly live in the chest. And as I said, I plan to put up pegboard for my more commonly used stuff (hammers, screwdrivers, pliers) or stuff that's kinda big and bulky (pipe wrenches).

:jacked:

Funny story, I inherited three pipe wrenches from my Dad that are MUCH older than I am. My old GFs mother told me I should get rid of them since I don't need them. I declined, because (a) they were my Dad's (b) I may not need them often, but when I do nothing else will do the job and (c) if I DO need one and go out to buy one, those suckers are not cheap. So anyway, about six months later I go to my GFs place and their main drain line is clogged, and GFs father is trying to get the plug out with a channel lock (and not doing too well, not big enough and not enough leverage). I said "Wait a few, I'll be back" and returned with Dad's pipe wrench which made short work of the plug.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Craigslist
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

blackeagle603 wrote:Craigslist
And local auctions.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have one of those "beer can" small Harbor Freight roll around boxes for tool storage. Since I no longer do much outside the apartment it has proved to be adequate. I keep tools that I use often in my old flightline toolbag from my Air Force days. This I keep in a drawer of my old grey steel desk where it is ready to grab and go.

If I were to get a top of the line tool chest, it would just sit there and gather dust.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964