A life of interruptions

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Greg

Re: A life of interruptions

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:One downside of being indispensable, is that you can never be promoted.
Or have an uninterrupted vacation.
Most brutal technical interview I ever had was at the hands of an 'indispensable man' who'd managed to get promoted, on the condition he supply his own replacement.

He didn't want to waste *any* time hand holding, doing 2 jobs while a replacement got up to speed. I was *sure* I had the job until he grilled me personally, and found me lacking.

Not sure, long term, he had the right approach. Wonder if he's still doing his 'old' job.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Contractors doing things not according to plan them NEEDING me to drop everything and tell them how to make it right so they can pass an inspection.
This has become my life this year.

I have 4 projects currently. One is 15/16ths of the way done and I worry about them very little. My main thing with them is coordination with us and the other shops in the facility.

One was recently turned over and is in the closeout portion of the project. We dragged the contractor kicking and screaming across the finish line. On site, work was completed in a manner I am accustomed to and looking for, but administratively??? Holy shit. They didn't mobilize for 9 months after NTP. When they did, the plan was to jam this thing in as fast as possible and move on. Their guys showed up lacking even the most basic, required licenses to be performing work on the items they were installing. They had not attended any of the required training we have them go through. Their submittals are garbage. They were unable to read the contract or specifications to the point they were making arguments to us that an "independent" inspection required by the specs should be provided by us instead of it meaning the inspector just couldn't work for them. The on site guys were what enabled this contract to actually progress.

The next is a project where a specific component failed during application. We brought it up and took lots of pictures, made our reports, etc. The contractor installed it (lots of it....) thinking it wouldn't be too bad to fix the problems in place. We determined the system is worthless as applied. We need a complete redo, but the subs and 2nd tier subs are fighting us all the way. We pull the string, so to speak, and find out the entire system is compromised. It just gets worse and worse. After 2 months of fighting subs, firing one 2nd tier entirely, we moving back towards a good repair.

My 4th is a utility project where the contractor did not mobilize for 2 months after NTP, only showing up in Oct. to begin excavation work in Eastern Wa. Read that last one again. Because of "We gotta get this thing done" my dirt sub decided it would be fine to install nearly a mile of Schedule 80 pipe, backfill it, and compact as they were going. Pipe this size takes 24 hours for the cement to create a proper weld. The entire way I'm telling the prime that I've never seen anyone backfill, compact, THEN test. It's insane. If, during testing, the line can't hold the required amount of pressure they were digging every stick of it up. Guess what happened??? We've got nearly 10 days so far of the excavator doing nothing other than digging up connections to find the leak. They've got 500' so far that I've passed. The math doesn't look good. On top of it, I guarantee these guys are going to ask for weather days.

The FAR Section 52.236-5: Material and Workmanship is fast becoming my friend.
(c) All work under this contract shall be performed in a skillful and workmanlike manner. The Contracting Officer may require, in writing, that the Contractor remove from the work any employee the Contracting Officer deems incompetent, careless, or otherwise objectionable.
This is an extremely powerful clause we've begun using. Note that the 3 part test is an "or" and not an "and" situation. I particularly like the over-generalization of "otherwise objectionable." That's a pretty damned big stick.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

Yeah, I don't WANT to be promoted. I have one of the coolest jobs on the planet. My work goes OFF the planet. If they promote me, I won't be hands-on with the hardware any more. I have less than seven years to retirement. And if they promote me, I would have to be salaried. NO thank you. Now I get overtime when I work 60-hour weeks (Which is fortunately not for long stretches any more). I love the people at work, and they like me well enough that one of the engineers gave me a pen made with wood from the Wye Oak for Christmas. He emphasized this is NOT to be construed as requiring a gift from me in return, "I saw it and it said Dave all over it." This is the spot. The corner of happy and cool. It'll take a court order to get me out of here ahead of September 2023. :lol:
Wye Oak Pen.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yeah, I don't WANT to be promoted. I have one of the coolest jobs on the planet. My work goes OFF the planet. If they promote me, I won't be hands-on with the hardware any more.
^^this^^

Had exactly that conversation in the mid-90's with two young buyers on the commodity team I've been on since before then. We were on a long drive in traffic up the 5 to a supplier's factory. The subject of career paths and advancement came up in conversation. These two Business grads were dumbstruck, jaws hanging slack as we two tech members of the team both said "We don't want to advance. We have arrived at our career destination already. Please don't promote us and screw up our lives."

We further added and offered this deal, " You've done this long enough now to know that buyers only get promoted for cost savings. The really major cost reductions come from technical decisions and inputs at the design/redesign stage that come from us your technical team members. You also know that while you may get some bumps from the 10-15% cost savings you can negotiate along the way the big savings are in design. Stick with us and you'll be VP's. We'll give you the big public credit for the big savings we initiate and you keep the quiet review/reputation inputs coming to protect us within our technical organization." We'll have your back as long as you have ours. And indeed we've all been able to sponsor the others along the way during reorgs and downsizings that we survived.

The other engineer has retired now. The two buyers? One is senior director on the cusp of becoming a VP now (in charge of all mfg, procurement for our stateside mfg). The other younger buyer is his right hand Sr Mgr (on cusp of becoming a Director) in charge of procurement for 90% of all that group's mfg (sub-contracts are managed by another guy).
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Odahi wrote:My work goes OFF the planet.
My work is hopefully going to be seen in a superbowl commercial..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

HTRN wrote:
Odahi wrote:My work goes OFF the planet.
My work is hopefully going to be seen in a superbowl commercial..
My work will hopefully never garner any sort of widespread attention.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:My work will hopefully never garner any sort of widespread attention.
Mine, too. It all gets buried or covered up. If anyone ever notices it, it means something's wrong. :lol:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:My work will hopefully never garner any sort of widespread attention.
Yeah, in current job as in many of my past jobs, widespread attention, particularly in the media, means someone was having a really bad day.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Rich

Post by Rich »

A similar problem is being the only one in the crowd who habitually carries a pen or pencil. It does get tiresome. :?
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Rich wrote:A similar problem is being the only one in the crowd who habitually carries a pen or pencil. It does get tiresome. :?
Four things I always carried in my pocket at work: a pencil, a red Sharpie, a small note pad, and a 6" stainless rule. Saved my butt many a time.
Eppur si muove--Galileo