A life of interruptions

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
BDK

Re: A life of interruptions

Post by BDK »

Darrell wrote:I hung it up at work six months ago. I told them for years that "you're gonna miss me when I'm gone", they'd smirk and roll their eyes. Now they're in the depths of busy season, nobody knows how to work on the equipment I took care of for years. I tried and tried to get others involved, but was rebuffed time and again. Now they're calling me, begging me to come back. I have declined so far.

My secret? All I did was RTFM, and apply the written instructions, and learn from it. Evidently I was the only one who could do so. I worked with a bunch of hammer jockeys.

PS RTFM means "read the manual". :roll:
Hence, when you start billing them as a consultant
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

There's an older guy in my office. He's technically the office manager, but there's not much to manage.

He comes to me for computer help. "How do you do this?" "How do you do that?" "How do you find this file?" We do about half of our work via RDP on a remote server. He can never remember when he's on the remote server and when he's on the local network. Same monitor, I guess, right?

I've written down step by step instructions for the infrequent stuff. I mean, like, open this program. On this screen, go to this menu, click this item. Literally, step by step. And he forgets he even has them. :roll: "Can you show me how to....?"

But BE's right. It pays the bills.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

Sounds like either a mild case of Alzheimers or he never had anyone teach him how to use a computer.

Back around the late 1950's, the Air Force experimented with sending trainees directly to their units instead of going through tech school, and they were a lot like that.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

The Mighty Mouse shirt wouldn't be subtle enough, I work with smart folks. Maybe Underdog? But it's a good feeling to be the go-to guy. To know that people trust my knowledge and experience, and count on me to make things happen. Sometimes it's a bit of an imposition, but the good feeling overwhelms that, at least most days. :)
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

BDK wrote:
Darrell wrote:I hung it up at work six months ago. I told them for years that "you're gonna miss me when I'm gone", they'd smirk and roll their eyes. Now they're in the depths of busy season, nobody knows how to work on the equipment I took care of for years. I tried and tried to get others involved, but was rebuffed time and again. Now they're calling me, begging me to come back. I have declined so far.

My secret? All I did was RTFM, and apply the written instructions, and learn from it. Evidently I was the only one who could do so. I worked with a bunch of hammer jockeys.

Hence, when you start billing them as a consultant
The thought has crossed my mind. It would cost them well north of $100 an hour, plus per diem, hotel, travel, etc., etc. to bring in a tech from the manufacturer. I really don't want to go back, though--it's a madhouse there, typical busy season is bad enough, but they're downsizing at the same time. I left for a reason. I suspect they'll be history in six months, anyway.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

I kind of like reading manuals. Usually finding several new things every time.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Darrell wrote:I really don't want to go back, though--it's a madhouse there, typical busy season is bad enough, but they're downsizing at the same time. I left for a reason. I suspect they'll be history in six months, anyway.
So squeeze out what you can, tell em 80 bucks an hour plus expenses. And remember, you're, no longer an employee, youre a contractor, so you have no reason to put up with their shit, the minute they start with their nonsense, walk out the door.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Greg

Post by Greg »

Odahi wrote:The Mighty Mouse shirt wouldn't be subtle enough, I work with smart folks. Maybe Underdog? But it's a good feeling to be the go-to guy. To know that people trust my knowledge and experience, and count on me to make things happen. Sometimes it's a bit of an imposition, but the good feeling overwhelms that, at least most days. :)
One downside of being indispensable, is that you can never be promoted.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

HTRN wrote:
Darrell wrote:I really don't want to go back, though--it's a madhouse there, typical busy season is bad enough, but they're downsizing at the same time. I left for a reason. I suspect they'll be history in six months, anyway.
So squeeze out what you can, tell em 80 bucks an hour plus expenses. And remember, you're, no longer an employee, youre a contractor, so you have no reason to put up with their shit, the minute they start with their nonsense, walk out the door.
He said they'll likely be gone in six months. So $20k retainer then $80/hour four hour minimum per call even if he walks out in 10 min. Retainer ensures you get paid.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:One downside of being indispensable, is that you can never be promoted.
Or have an uninterrupted vacation.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D