A lot of really sad stories recently here

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Highspeed

A lot of really sad stories recently here

Post by Highspeed »

Way too many sad stories recently here - I honestly don't have the words to comment on them. I do visit a lot but rarely log in unless I have something to say.

I got run over today by a Fedex truck today - really ! - but I'm sharing this to give you all a laugh. I'm OK, low speed collision, didn't do me too much damage but now I'm sure that I'm living in some country and western song where your wife leaves you, then your dog dies, and it's all downhill from there - etc etc etc .
When you are English friends laugh at each other, we call it taking the piss and elevate it to a high form of art. So laugh at me....

I'm so sad to hear of other members real grief, lets hope that 2017 is a better year.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Gunnuts

Re: A lot of really sad stories recently here

Post by Gunnuts »

Highspeed wrote:I'm so sad to hear of other members real grief, lets hope that 2017 is a better year.
Agreed.

Now about that taking a piss thing....I have a print of this hanging at home.
Glasses - Jim Benton (2010).jpg
That should be good for a smile or two. :)
randy

Post by randy »

I'm glad you're OK Highspeed! Here in the US it's safer to step in front of a Mail truck, they usually move much slower than FedEx/UPS ;)

Yeah, a lot of suckage lately. But to put a positive spin on it, it's good that we have a space to vent with friends.

I also take some heart (but I am strange) that when people vent here about their problems, life setbacks and out and out tragedies, they are not:

1. Whining...

2....about trivial events that most of us here would just say FIDO* and accept it a the way life happens. As opposed to the really obnoxious drama emanating from the precious snowflakes Darlin' Daughter has to endure at her college particularly after the election..

*F--K It and Drive On (or Fighter Intercept Direction Officer/Operator, which often leads to the other kind of FIDO :mrgreen: )
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Highspeed wrote:So laugh at me....
Did you sign for it, or do they need to come back tomorrow and run over you again? ;)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Glad to see you're doing OK, HS. Yes I laughed, thanks. :lol:
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Highspeed wrote:but now I'm sure that I'm living in some country and western song where your wife leaves you, then your dog dies, and it's all downhill from there - etc etc etc .
I suppose you heard about the guy who played country music records backwards to listen for satanic messages? He got his dog back, his wife back, etc.

Thanks for checking in.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

Good to hear you're none the worse for wear... but I have to admit I laughed my ass off over Weet's "did you sign for it" comment.

Can't agree on their rant about the winner of our presidential race, but the overall sentiment about this year is pretty spot on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yv_rl3MYKA
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

On the bright side...

a) you lived through that last low patch to be hit by a mail truck.
b) you surfaced to post here.

all in all a positive turn of events. ;)
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Look at the bright side....Obama is out on his ear in 50 days. :D
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Highspeed wrote:Way too many sad stories recently here - I honestly don't have the words to comment on them. I do visit a lot but rarely log in unless I have something to say.

I got run over today by a Fedex truck today - really ! - but I'm sharing this to give you all a laugh. I'm OK, low speed collision, didn't do me too much damage but now I'm sure that I'm living in some country and western song where your wife leaves you, then your dog dies, and it's all downhill from there - etc etc etc .
When you are English friends laugh at each other, we call it taking the piss and elevate it to a high form of art. So laugh at me....

I'm so sad to hear of other members real grief, lets hope that 2017 is a better year.
Could be worse. You could turn into an American Aston Villa fan. Sure, beer for breakfast sounds great but then you're stuck in a bar with a bunch of Manchester fans (both kinds) who don't understand how you could have picked Villa.

Hell, you're not even sure how you wound up in a hipster bar watching soccer at 0600.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds