Connie And Kim

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Darrell

Connie And Kim

Post by Darrell »

Curmudgeonly & Skeptical has a post about Connie and Kim Du Toit--she has terminal cancer. You might drop by and leave a message, or otherwise send a message if you have the means:

https://curmudgeonlyskeptical.blogspot. ... utoit.html
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JustinR

Re: Connie And Kim

Post by JustinR »

Damn, damn, damn. :( I've never met either one of them personally, but this still makes me really sad.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Greg

Post by Greg »

Aw crap. This is terrible news and I am hoping for a last second remission.

[spoiler]And I do not like Connie at all. But fuck cancer.[/spoiler]
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Ugh. I know opinions vary, but I've always had good interactions with them, and I like them both. Once when they were raising funds, I bought a Ruger Single Six from Kim. We did it the way all such transactions should occur: out of the back of his trunk after my family and I had had breakfast with them.

I seem to have a lot of people to pray for these days.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

That sucks. I never met them, but it was through them and others like them that I became aware of the greater online community of conservatives, gun people, and just good folks. I hope for the best for her, remission can and does happen daily, maybe it will for Connie.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I only knew them from the blog and interacting with them there. But I certainly have a soft(ish) spot for people with terminal cancer. I wish them a reprieve or a quick low pain end. Sometimes that is the best thing. That is what we got and I am happy for that over the alternative. Sucks less and all that.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
g-man

Post by g-man »

F*ck. Kim is one of the primary reasons I am the rabid 2nd amendment supporter I am, and I know Connie makes him happy, which is A Good Thing™. More prayers for an 11th hour remission here. Just damn.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

What Greg said...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Dammit, 2016, you need to knock this shit off, or at least target the folks who actually deserve it. :evil:

Gallows humor aside, this truly sucks. I hate to see this happening to folks I know of as good people. Best wishes & hopes for a miraculous remission.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

g-man wrote:F*ck. Kim is one of the primary reasons I am the rabid 2nd amendment supporter I am, and I know Connie makes him happy, which is A Good Thing™. More prayers for an 11th hour remission here. Just damn.
I concur. When I discovered Kim's blog back in the day, I owned two guns, a Beretta mod 85:
Beretta model 85 Cheetah sm.jpg
...and a Taurus PT-92 that I bought from a friend and gave back to him when he returned from Europe.

I don't have the time or inclination post a pic of all the guns I lost in that terrible boating accident, (still raw), but here is what my ammo closet looks like:
ammo closet sm.jpg
Gun rights is one of the two topics that can bait me into a political discussion when it wouldn't be otherwise advisable, (the other being publicly funded sports stadiums). I owe that almost entirely to Kim DuToit's blog. I really liked his writing style and use of images to make his point. I wish his archives were still available. I understand why he did it though.

He and Connie deserve better than the slings and arrows they've had to bear, but I bet he'd say that he's lived an extremely blessed life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD