Smoke Alarm Recommendation

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
MarkD

Smoke Alarm Recommendation

Post by MarkD »

In March of 2015 I installed four new smoke alarms in my home, two of which have now failed (and by failed, I mean they alarmed when no cause for alarm was present. This wasn't the chirp saying "I need a new battery". One kept sounding when I put it in a drawer. There was absolutely no reason for these things to alarm, it's not like I burned something or even took a steamy shower.) These were First Alert products purchased at a big-box store. Unfortunately I didn't keep the receipt, so First Alert won't replace them, and even if they did I'd get the same crap again.

Since I don't want to put more of the same up, I was hoping someone could recommend a smoke alarm they've had good luck with.

These are not hard-wired, strictly battery-powered. I have a separate CO alarm.
Cobar

Re: Smoke Alarm Recommendation

Post by Cobar »

I don't have a recommendation but I can say that when I had a smoke alarm do that, blowing cobwebs out of it fixed it.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I've had good luck w. the battery powered Kidde ones from Home Depot.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Cobar wrote:I don't have a recommendation but I can say that when I had a smoke alarm do that, blowing cobwebs out of it fixed it.
Tried that, didn't help. Of course the thing would always decide to go off at 2 am.
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

rightisright wrote:I've had good luck w. the battery powered Kidde ones from Home Depot.
We're in a condo, so ours are hard-wired (with battery backup), but yeah. Have been here for fifteen years plus, and between the two condos, we replaced one alarm of four. When I went to replace them all, the new ones have a little door that pops down to access the battery. LOTS less hassle than taking them off and then trying to line them back up on that damn circular bracket. On a step-stool. On your tip-toes. At 2:00 in the morning.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

rightisright wrote:I've had good luck w. the battery powered Kidde ones from Home Depot.
I bought these and put them up yesterday. We shall see what happens.