Yesterday didn't quite go the way we planned it

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
JAG2955

Yesterday didn't quite go the way we planned it

Post by JAG2955 »

Add a tick mark to my belief in fate.

Wife and I decided to go look at a dog adoption at a somewhat-local Petsmart, just to break us out of the depression that we were in, and to start the healing process. We took along our big, dumb dog, Draven. We went after church, so most of the dogs were already adopted out, and they had 4 dogs left, all small dogs. One of the volunteers was really pushy, until we told her that we just lost our dog last week. We left, feeling somewhat rejected.

On the way home, we decided to make a trip to the county shelter. We dropped our dog off at home, and went to the shelter. It's a sad sight. Lots of dogs, many who had given up hope. You could see it in their eyes. We were getting ready to leave, and a volunteer asked us if we wanted to see any of the dogs closer. We mentioned two young GSDs that we saw on the internet during the last few days. He said they sounded familiar, and put us in touch with the volunteer coordinator. She told us if we had their ID number, she could look them up. We couldn't find them on our phones, so we went home with the intention to find the number, and give them a call back.

We found the dog ID numbers, and called, but no one answered. They were swamped with people. We said "fuck it," and drove down there. We got there 5 minutes before closing. We gave the link to the coordinator, and she texted it to the woman who was working with them. In the meantime, she showed us where the strays were. Lots of beautiful dogs, none claimed by their owners, including a 2-year old beautiful Great Pyrenees that had been there for 3 months.

We headed out, because it was 20 minutes past closing. As we're talking to her in the lobby, a GSD (maybe with a little mix) puppy runs up to us. I stopped it by the collar, because I thought that it got away from some kid in the lobby. A black woman and her daughter walked up, as I handed the puppy to the coordinator. They stated that they were abandoning it there because "my husband has to have knee surgery. It has all its shots." She had a bad weave with gobs of makeup, a long manicure, and a phone that was nicer than mine. Her daughter looked sad, but didn't say much. The coordinator handed the puppy to my wife, and gave them the abandonment paperwork, then walked us outside. The puppy's collar said "peace, love, rescue" on it. It was two sizes too small, so we removed it immediately.

I didn't want to get attached to it, it looks very similar to Kaylee, but with less white/black in the back coat. She was almost all brown, with a black mask, and with a touch of white on the paws and on her chest. She hadn't lost a single milk tooth, so the coordinator told us that she was only about 3 months old. She said that she'd grow up to be a GSD on the small size. We didn't want to make a decision then, so we were going to leave her there, sleep on it, and maybe come back Tuesday morning when they re-opened.

Just then, another volunteer came out the door. She asked if we were going to take the puppy. We said that we were going to sleep on it and maybe come back on Tuesday. She said that the people dropping her off didn't live in our county, so they would have to take her to the Harris county shelter. Harris county only holds their dogs for 3 days before putting them down. The coordinator said that folks trying to abandon their dogs that don't live in the county just kick them out of the car on the way home.

I said that we'd take her.

She reminds me a lot of Kaylee, with many of the same mannerisms already. While her shots are all set through the adoption/adoption fee, I'm going to take her to our vet for a hip check and general health. We got her a harness, leash, collar, and a blank tag with just my phone number, as we had no name. She was good in the crate last night, and while she's had a few accidents in the house, she appears to be learning quickly. Draven, our mutt, is tolerating her well, though I suspect puppy is going to learn a lesson in the next few days.

So on the way home from Petsmart, realizing what happened, perhaps by fate or by Kaylee's will, we said "Today didn't turn out the way we planned it." And then we realized that we had a name for her:

Murphy.
Netpackrat

Re: Yesterday didn't quite go the way we planned it

Post by Netpackrat »

You seriously named a dog after a member here?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Huzzah!
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Congrats! May she bring you much joy!
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

With photo.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

They find us, not the other way around. Well done
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Steamforger wrote:They find us, not the other way around. Well done
+1
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Good job. Glad to hear great news.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Two thumbs up!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Termite

Post by Termite »

Is GSM shorthand for "german shepard-mutt"?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."