How are our LA friends?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
JustinR

How are our LA friends?

Post by JustinR »

To Pawpaw and our other members in Louisiana, how are y'all doing? With record rainfall and flood warnings and declarations of emergency, please check in when you can and let us know if y'all need any help.

I'm in Tyler, TX tonight and watching the ugliness on radar.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Termite

Re: How are our LA friends?

Post by Termite »

Southeast Louisiana is wet-wet-wet. Some areas got over 20" of rain.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Rod

Post by Rod »

El Paso is on flood alert. We had 2/10 of an inch of rain after 1 AM. I think our total rainfall this year is a whopping 2.5 inches. Save us please! Where's FEMA? Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope everyone's safe and has the bulldozer ready to build levees.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Alexandria/Pineville is okay, but we got over 7" last night at my house. Everything is saturated.

I just talked to our club president about our normal Saturday shoot, and the range is okay, but the roads in a sloppy mess. We've decided to cancel the shoot today based on the condition of the roads. We'll let everything drain this week and plan on shooting next week.

Southeast Louisiana is still catching holy hell. From Lafayette east, it's a disaster. My son in Baton Rouge reports that he's okay, but he did sandbag the front door of their house. The ground is saturated and there is no place for the water to go but up.

Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I checked in with the folks this morning. Their land borders on the Yellow Water River (not the greatest river ever if you're not familiar with it) but floods have to come up some uncharacteristic elevation to get to the house. Dad staked out a high mark this morning and it seems that it's dropped a foot since. The water is close, but it sounds like they're fine.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Just got off the phone with HPD. Tangi was hit hard but Livingston was absolutely drowned. My friends dad lives in Albany and had 8 feet in his house. His mom had 4 feet in hers. At least a half dozen dept. folks houses are complete losses and a like number of police cars have been destroyed. Wally World is doing some kind of rationing. My parents are still high and dry, but I have to imagine every cotton mouth in the river is looking for high ground right about now.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Candyman's Jurisdiction

Sure hope he's ok. :shock: I know he's working a lot of hours.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

I'm fine. Ms !ludite had a foot or so in her yard and had to make some high ground for the birds in the aviary. My aunt and uncle in Hammond got two feet in their basement (or as non-Louisianans would call it, an unfinished first floor), and some friends in the Baton Rouge area got flooded.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Just heard from my son an hour ago. He's a parole officer in Baton Rouge. He and his wife are high and dry, so he's okay. He spent the weekend on a detail moving prisoners from flooded jails, and several of his co-workers took flooding in their homes, lost everything.

Flooding is strange. It happens to the best of people. I've been flooded out twice in my lifetime. As metro areas grow, and road networks are built, they change the natural flow patterns of runoff water. An interestate highway, for example, is really nothing but a levee with a nice road on top of it. As the area grows, suddenly subdivisions spring up on land that was farmland, and might be marginal for habitation. Why is it marginal? Because it floods every 20 years or so. But now, they've built a new road (levee), so it will flood ever 10 years or so.

Folks around Baton Rouge are finding out. It sucks, and I feel bad for them, but ....
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

PawPaw wrote:An interestate highway, for example, is really nothing but a levee with a nice [strike]road[/strike] broad-crested weir on top of it.
FIFY :D

A lot of my work used to be designing ponds upstream of the stuff you described to attenuate the peak flow at the bottom. I still do a bit of that.

I hope everyone fares as well as possible.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D