My dog is dying

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rumpshot

Re: My dog is dying

Post by Rumpshot »

So sorry to hear this. It is difficult, but it is a responsibility that we all undertake when we take a dog or cat or other animal into our care.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

I'm in a similar boat currently. Our dach-mutt is 14. Lately he's had a cough that most vets say is allergies, and he's been panting more lately, which we just chalked up to a hot summer. However a vet-tech friend of our encouraged us to get our dog a chest x-ray. THey found a mass near his heart. Further testing indicated it's a tumor on the heart, slow growing, that is pressing on his trachea. We're fortunate that we caught it early, and that it's not a tumor on the blood vessels by the heart (which our vet said could bleed, leak into the paracardium around the heart, and cause him to go into arrest at some random future point). We've got him on meds to try and slow or reduce the size of the tumor, but we're under no illusions we can cure him. He's off a diet, getting lots of tasty table scraps now. Might have half to 3/4 of a year.
Not looking forward to the end point.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

It will be today. A house call vet will be here in a few hours.

I realized today that I took her home from the pound almost exactly nine years ago today.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

But she had nine good years, with people who loved her and cared for her, and will be with her at the end.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

First Shirt wrote:But she had nine good years, with people who loved her and cared for her, and will be with her at the end.
That is all that you can do, and it is enough even if it doesn't feel like it.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Sorry to hear. Take comfort in the great memories w. her.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Very sorry. It's the last service you can do for a beloved pet.
randy

Post by randy »

Sorry JAG.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Sorry for your loss, pard. I've been there. :(
Eppur si muove--Galileo
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

She's gone. The house call vet was worth it. She passed over the white cliffs and into the fields of green at home surrounded by her pack. She'll be cremated and returned to us, because we'll probably move at some point. I always told her that we'd get out West. It'll happen, just not in the way I expected.