The Thin Blue Line

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Candyman

The Thin Blue Line

Post by Candyman »

After coming home from Desert Storm I thought life would be easy, but after getting out of the Corps something was missing in my life.
On August 14th of 2000 I joined the ranks of the Thin Blue Line with The Baton Rouge City Police. Little did I know that in just shy of 17 years that I would loose 9 of my Brothers in the line of duty. This is a price that is hard on my heart.
Last Sunday we lost two of our Brothers at BRPD and another from the East Baton Rouge Sheriff. One other Deputy is still fighting for his life. Two more of my Brothers were in the hospital.
I know that some of you have seen the video of the shooting that was put on you tube of the Officers shot and killed in Baton Rouge LA.. The Officers that kept arriving all knew that our Brothers had been ambushed by a man with a rifle. Knowing that the vest we wear is only rated for handgun ammo. This did not stop them. We do not run from the sound of gun fire.
So I say to you, "Surround yourself with men that run to the sound of gun fire and you will always be protected"

The worst thing that an officer can hear on his radio is "Officer Down, or, Shots Fired. Officer Down ." This cuts to the bone because, you know that person. I have made that call and heard it to many times in the last 17 years. I pray to God that my Brothers and I never have to hear it again, but we know it will come across our radios again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3hFn71eQ40

I knew one of our Officers that was killed, Officer Montrell Jackson. Jackson was a fine officer, a good man and a new father. He loved the city that he worked for. I know that he is in the hands of God now. Tomorrow we will lay him to rest.
For those of us that make up Thin Blue Line, no matter the hardships, or the pain of loosing our Brothers, we will be here for you. Our hearts are broken, but our spirit will never be.

The day after our Brothers were killed. while out on a call, a lady gave me a huge. It took almost everything I had to keep from breaking down in tears in her arms.
I was asked by someone, How could I do my job in times like these, My answer was " I didn't know how not to."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR_6inBrtwQ

Good night and God Bless.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Rich

Re: The Thin Blue Line

Post by Rich »

Thank you Candyman. Let me also say thank you for the service you will provide in the stormy times ahead.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Hang in there, Candyman. Everyone's been thinking and wondering about you. My condolences for your loss.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

It is a career that is difficult to explain. Partly because it is as much a way of life as it is job. There is a lot more to it than most people realize or are willing to admit. I enjoyed it until I decided it was time.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Glad you are still with us.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Thank you, Candyman. My condolences for your colleagues, their families and friends.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Thank you Candyman. For your service and for checking in with your perspective. There was a lot of concern for you and your brethren. We all wish you well and that you can continue in your chosen profession as long as you want to.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Thank y'all so much for the kind words.
I just got back from the church. I did not stay for the funeral, I just went to say good-by to my brother, Jackson. I'm just not good with funerals and could not stay.
I left a Thin Blue Line paracord bracelet on his casket .
My youngest son, Isaac, is 12yo. about 2 years ago he and I started a small side business called Father And Son Paracord. We've been making and selling paracord bracelets at farmers markets and the gun show. Isaac asked if we could make and give Thin Blue Line bracelets to police officers. We plan to have 100 of them made for the gun show this coming weekend to give to any LEO that comes to our table.
God Bless all.
Do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Sorry for your loss, Candyman. And thanks for being on the frontline.
randy

Post by randy »

Candyman wrote: Isaac asked if we could make and give Thin Blue Line bracelets to police officers. We plan to have 100 of them made for the gun show this coming weekend to give to any LEO that comes to our table.
God Bless all.
Please pass on a Bravo Zulu to that young man. Outstanding!

Keep safe and watch your 6!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".