Taking a Trip

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rumpshot

Taking a Trip

Post by Rumpshot »

This trip was not planned very far ahead of time. It has come about in the last three weeks or so, though it was brewing before that.

Not seeking any sympathy, just stating some facts and why I have to make this trip.

My brother has been a lifelong smoker. He was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. I don't know too much about that diagnosis or that prognosis. Him having lung cancer is not a big surprise to the family. What brought about this diagnosis was pain in his hips. It got bad enough that he could not sleep. He had a lot of pain. Some of the pain is being controlled now. After many Dr. visits, there was finally a biopsy taken of his hips. Cancer. I don't know if the lung cancer metastasized into his bones or if it is a separate cancer.

Some radiation has been applied and some chemo is ongoing. He has lost about 50 pounds since the first of the year. He has had difficulty eating, but is eating better now.

He had a blood clot in his arm that caused it to swell up. That has been addressed.

The outlook does not appear to be good. We are driving up early this week to get as much info first hand as we can and to visit with my brother before we get to the end. Will be on the road for a little over a week.

On my Dad's side of the family, my Uncle (Dad's brother, also a smoker, may have had cancer but it did not cause his demise), my brother and myself are really the only ones that have had cancer. I have one female blood cousin that has had breast cancer. On my Mother's side of the family there have been several, an Aunt and an Uncle (Mom's brother and sister) and several cousins with various cancers. At least one cousin, who died of cancer, had mitigating circumstances that helped induce his cancer.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
randy

Re: Taking a Trip

Post by randy »

Safe Travels

Check in when you can

Let us know if we can help
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

What Randy said. Take care.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Sorry the trip is under those circumstances. Other than that, let me echo what the others have said.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

Sorry to hear this, Rumpshot. Best wishes to all, and safe travelling.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Thanks for all the kind wishes. Just got home today.

Last Saturday there was a gathering at my brother's home with lots of folks that I had not seen in over 40 years.

Brother Dick has stage 4 cancer. I don't know how long he has left, neither does he. He has accepted this and is at ease about it. He has not stopped smoking, in fact has accelerated the rate and shifted from cigarettes to cigarillos. His pain seems to mostly be controlled at this point.

Did not see info on his lungs, but did see CT? scans of his hips. His hip joints appear to my untrained eye to be about normal. He walks without any obvious pain. BUT the left top of his pelvic area appears to just be melted away. (That is where the pain comes in.) He does not wear pants, but will pull on a pair of bib overalls when he bothers to get dressed.

I am glad we made the trip now. I don't know if we will be back before the funeral or not. Too many things. My brother and I, separated by 5 years, were never very close. Family yes, but close, no. During his adolescence and early years he had drug and alcohol issues. He stopped both before our mother died, but that tainted him. He did complete a career with the Montana National Guard. Though he did not file his retirement paperwork in a timely manner to appreciate the benefits that were due. Typically the paperwork is dragging on.

Kind thoughts and prayers appreciated.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

My condolences for you and yours, RS.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

My condolences, and prayers too.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Fuck Cancer.

Glad to hear he is doing ok considering and that you and the family got to say hi and make the rounds.

Family is important, even the wayward ones.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Rumpshot, if you need anything, please let us know, and some way, some how, we'll get it to you!!

SEMPER FI!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad