Re: Bad cancer news a few days ago. UPDATE 6/15

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote:Go fund me link coming soon.
Oh, and in case it hasn't been made clear, you have a Moderator approval to post that link here
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Post by Precision »

https://www.facebook.com/notes/dawn-fau ... 4585427974

For those who have the faceplant.

https://www.gofundme.com/dawnscancerfund

for those who do not have the faceplant.

Her attached note on faceplant:

Hello Loves! Here I am :)
Dawn Faust Bibby·Wednesday, June 15, 2016
I am sorry that I have been out of touch for a bit here on Facebook. I have an eventful month to say the least. I will try to keep this positive and as brief as possible. I will begin at the beginning (a very good place to start).

As I prepared for my Fly Fishing Retreat in mid April, I developed a tickly cough. Everyone was having allergy issues so I chalked my up to the same.....allergies. But the cough persisted and lasted longer than my perfunctory 3 week time limit that I give any health issue. So, I contacted my oncologist and went to see what was going on. Simultaneously, sore lymph nodes popped up on my neck. My oncologist ordered a CT Scan that wound up showing MUCH concerning information. The small lung lesions that had been detected 18 month ago were now no longer “stable” they were in full bloom. New Metastasis to the bone, many upper airway lymph nodes enlarged and cancerous and most concerning, several mets to the liver. I was definitely NOT Stable any longer. Quickly the tickly cough had turned into a 24 hour a day breath stealing ordeal. Last weekend being the most horrific. I felt as though I was drowning in my own secretions and had several panic attacks. I just could not get a breath. I had been to the doctor on last Friday with shortness of breath and extra heaviness in my chest.

This past Friday night I had such a hard time breathing that I could not speak (I know a husband’s dream). But my husband was not amused. He sprang into action and called my nurse sister Diana to get her opinion. She asked me what my SATS had been when I was at the doctor that day. They had not been tested so John ran out and bought a pulse oximeter. My SATS were below 80. I needed oxygen and I needed it now. John has an angel of a friend who temporarily set me temporarily with a solution to keep me out of the ER over the weekend. What a relief at least I has some air going but I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest. I just hunkered down and slept and average of 20 hours a day for days.

On Wednesday of last week (after much insurance shenanigans) I got a new chemo going called Afinitor. On Monday of this week, I was ready to meet Jesus I felt so horrible. Then to my amazement, I woke up on Tuesday, feeling slightly better. The pressure and fluid in my lungs was going down. I dropped 5 lbs in 24 hours. I did not feel great but I did feel a positive move in the right direction.

Today, I feeling hopeful for the first time in a month. The new chemo appears to have already made a difference already. I saw 2 docs in South Florida today who have come up with a plan. The only thing I was offered locally was chemo and not to much concern with my painful lymph nodes and shortness of breath.

I will have the neck lymph nodes treated in the next 2 weeks with radiation to alleviate the pain. I will need to be in Miami 5 days a week for treatment every day and insurance will most likely cover this to some degree. After 6-8 weeks I will have another CT SCAN to see if the new chemo is making a difference with shrinking the lung tumors, then perhaps CT again a few weeks later to make sure we have maximum shrinkage. Once that is achieved, we will go back to Miami to brachytherapy done to my lungs with the Varian Edge. Particularly focusing on the right side which is showing the most growth. I have previously tried to get this done which would have likely prevented me from getting to here but insurance refused to pay for it. It is an expensive treatment but I believe with some crowdfunding, I can possibly raise some of the money. We also have some angels who have been helping up to this date. With me being on disability and John losing his chef job back in fall of 2014 due to missing too much time because of my cancer, things have been very tough but we have soldiered on. John has taken a local retail job that has given him much flexibility in the past year but it appears he will need to stop this job at some point to shuttle me back & forth to Miami to treatment.

The liver is going to be helped by the chemo. This new chemo is processed through the liver so it is the organ that will get the most of the chemo. This will most likely cause the tumors there to shrink and then we may circle back with radioactive pellets placed in the liver to drive the cancer out there. As a side but important note......I have had no symptoms in my digestion, jaundice or liver pain. The doctor today found that amazing. He also asked me about lifestyle choices I have made throughout my life. As one who has never partied today my good choices showed up. By never doing a single recreational drugs or alcohol abuse, my liver is in remarkable condition for the condition it is in. I say this to impress upon any young person reading this or anyone who is being unkind to their bodies. Today the sacrifices I have made in this regard have been endorsed and justified. Moving on........

Then I went to Boca this afternoon to see my naturopath who has decided we need a targeted approach to what we are doing in this arena. He has ordered a blood test that will test my circulating tumor cells to see what substances “my cancer” is sensitive to and with that information he will come up with a customized nutritional and supplement plan tailor made for my specific cancer sensitivities.
So, you know me, the cocked optimist. Although I am sitting here tethered to the oxygen, I am hopeful and have a renewed energy and determination to do what it takes to stay here and to continue to do my real job, helping and encouraging others. What a remarkable journey this has been and lessons I continue to learn everyday.

Special recognition to my husband. When I think about what I have in him, I weep. He has been too incredible for words. He has taken a job well below his skill level in order to be available to me and this battle. Consequently, our finances are once again horrific but we have each other and spend as much time as possible together. I am posting a go fund me to prepare for what we are facing financially. If you can help, thanks in advance. If you are stretched too tight (and boy do I know how that is) just share the link. I am believing with the help of good people, my friends, family I can achieve the finances necessary regardless of what the insurance company says. I am confident that the plan that was developed today will be carried out and achieved. My faith is so much bigger than this cancer and grows with each passing day.
Here is the go fund me link: https://www.gofundme.com/dawnscance....

The amount I need to raise is a bit staggering but with God’s help, all things are possible.

PS...... the insurance company has pretty much written me off as a dead woman walking so I having to fight tooth and nail for anything at this point while they take more than half of the disability check that I get. Moving on...........but I really could go on & on.
Love to you all. Thank you for all the prayers, notes and texts. I am just now coming up for air :)

( Pardon a little cancer humor).

Dawn Faust Bibby <3
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Shared on my page. May life get better for the both of you. Big zen hugs and prayers.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Precision

Post by Precision »

TheArmsman wrote:Shared on my page. May life get better for the both of you. Big zen hugs and prayers.

Thanks. It all helps.

We launched late last night and it is early thursday morning and we are already pretty close to 5 digits. Much of that money has come from the night owls on this site. Thank you.

Also thank you for the shares. Sharing just the Go Fund Me link https://www.gofundme.com/dawnscancerfund is probably best with people who don't know us. A quicker easier read and they can learn more (if they want) from the updates. We have already received money from people we don't know. So that vector is working too. Thank you for that too.

My wife is overwhelmed by the outreach, generosity and love in so few hours. I already knew how awesome she is and how awesome you guys and our other friends are. But I have cried with her over this. Tears of joy and hope.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Here's hoping it keeps up at that pace. I threw in what I could anonymously.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Cybrludite wrote:Here's hoping it keeps up at that pace. I threw in what I could anonymously.
All contributions help. We treasure each one. Thank you for doing so and thank you for helping to increase the bandwidth. Every little bit helps to find other people who are touched by her fighting spirit.

Dawn cries at least once per day when she is sending thank you notes to those who choose to give their hard earned money to help her. She is especially likely to cry when it is someone she doesn't know. As much as I dislike seeing my wife cry, I like tears of joy. It seems like the fund raiser is spreading outside our circles as there are more donations from people neither of us know.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The Minions raided their "trip to Wyoming fund" to kick in a little, and I'll try to get some more out after payday.

Keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Precision

Post by Precision »

First Shirt wrote:The Minions raided their "trip to Wyoming fund" to kick in a little, and I'll try to get some more out after payday.

Keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers.

That is going to make the wife cry. It almost did so for me. Tell them thank you on our behalf.
Precision

Post by Precision »

TheArmsman wrote:Shared on my page. May life get better for the both of you. Big zen hugs and prayers.
Thank you. All efforts at bandwidth increase helps.
Rod

Post by Rod »

You're both good folks and we enjoyed having you here. Be assured we'll pray and will help as we can.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist