I'm back, thanks to NPR

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

Re: I'm back, thanks to NPR

Post by Precision »

Welcome back.

Life is a bitch, from our perspective so are our exes. Otherwise they wouldn't be exes.

Give the spark clear direction on where you are and why. Then slow roll it. Let the new thing help to lift up the low spots and things will gradually get better. That new thing might not last forever, but if both people are aware of the pitfalls and openly communicate about it... it can be fun time.

Congrats on turning some wrenches. Being productive always helps me dull the pain. Glad to see you back and alive.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
g-man

Post by g-man »

Good to see you back. Bumps in the road happen, usually ending with a face and lap full of hot coffee... funny how Murphy works that way. In any case, wrench turning is quite rewarding work, unlike the drone of cubicle hell some of us are stuck in... Best of luck with the new hotness.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Highspeed wrote:Yeah, everyone says it gets better.
I haven't had much in the way of hard times lately, but back when I had them going, I'd think to myself, "Well, I'll either get through this, or I'll die. Either way, the pain will stop."

They say, when you're going through hell, don't stop.
An ex US military Facebook friend of mine ( a Harley mechanic ) said something really flippant about me having no bike and no tools a few weeks ago ( I did actually get my tools back eventually ) and I fucking launched right into him, called him a motherfucker, he should go fuck himself etc etc.
He just told me very calmly that when he came back from his last deployment ( Afghanistan, in a combat role ) it was to an empty house, his wife had run off with Jody and taken everything he owned, that I'm not the only one this has happened to, to stop being a special little snowflake and man the fuck up. He was much more polite than that, but you get the idea. That made me think.
Sounds like you have a pretty thin skin. Honestly, I kind of have that same condition. ;) I try to sit on outraged responses before I send them - just wait a bit. I also try to think of other angles they could have been coming from that weren't as shitty as I first took it. Honestly, now I probably credit people with better intentions than they have on average, but I figure that that way, if they had bad intentions, I'm denying them the satisfaction of making me upset. Plus, I'm not upset, so I win, too. YMMV
Well, you all did say I could rant :D :D :D
Rant away, man. I think we've all done it here. And just knowing that someone somewhere gives a shit is a comfort.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Highspeed wrote:I am honestly puzzled as to why anyone could like me.
I've had the same feeling (though my road hasn't been anywhere near as rough), and still do. I just try to recognize that for whatever reason, people do like having me around...so I acknowledge it, give thanks for it, and try my best to live up to it.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

The comments from the military guy were exactly what I needed. Gave me a bit of perspective. Life isn't all about me, people have it a lot worse than I do, etc etc.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Precision

Post by Precision »

Highspeed wrote:The comments from the military guy were exactly what I needed. Gave me a bit of perspective. Life isn't all about me, people have it a lot worse than I do, etc etc.
yes, sometimes we need a little perspective. Sometimes it takes a punch in the mouth to give us that perspective and a great friend will do that for you. Appreciate those friends, even though sometimes it hurts having them push your face into the obvious.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

First proper date with that girl was hilarious. Or rather, it wasn't, except on a " If you didn't laugh you'd have to cry " basis

We spent a couple of hours in the pub, and we were getting on OK, except she's as thick as two short planks ( do you have that phrase in Yankistan ? it means someone who isn't too bright in England ) She really did look stunning though, full sleeve tattoos and bright red hair. Well, fairly stunning anyway...kind of a little bit over her fighting weight maybe, but not by too much.
So I asked if she'd come home with me to my mums ( my mum is basically insane by the way, it's not because of her age - she's always been like that, as long as I can remember. She would have thought that Hitler, Stalin and Pol Pot were OK if they kept their houses 'tidy and presentable' and had nice curtains and a well mown lawn) , to sleep in the spare room.
Or actually hopefully she wouldn't be sleeping in the spare room, because I haven't had my rocks off for a year or more, and well, you know....a man has his needs.

Anyway, now I have to digress - my mum has this bastard little overweight terrier dog who has never had a single ounce of discipline in it's life. It basically does as it pleases ( which is eating, sleeping, barking like a stuck record and pissing on the floor ) The nasty little fucker bit me really badly three weeks ago, on my hand, and 12 hours later I'm in hospital getting intravenous antibiotics and an operation to dig the infection out because it has a mouth like a Gila Monster and they are worried I'll get sepsis or whatever and the infection is creeping up my arm. Five fucking days I was in the hospital before they let me go home. No one in their right mind will go anywhere near that fucking horrible dog, it's a waste of space.

Me and redhead tattoo girl arrive back at my mums, the dog sees her and right away goes nuts, trying to attack her. Dunno if it was the bright red hair, her spike heeled boots or what, but it really went for her. She's already seen the scars on my hand from what it did to me and she basically freaks out. Goodbye tattoo girl....

Why does everything always happen to me ? :D
Last edited by Highspeed on Sun May 29, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do my dog house song
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Precision wrote:
Highspeed wrote:The comments from the military guy were exactly what I needed. Gave me a bit of perspective. Life isn't all about me, people have it a lot worse than I do, etc etc.
yes, sometimes we need a little perspective. Sometimes it takes a punch in the mouth to give us that perspective and a great friend will do that for you. Appreciate those friends, even though sometimes it hurts having them push your face into the obvious.
Yep, that's how I saw it....
Do my dog house song
toad

Post by toad »

"Some times life is like a box of chocolate and the only thing you can do is feed it to a nasty dog." :twisted:
Sometimes the stuff I read about what is going on in Londonstan makes me think the cops will come knocking on your door, wanting to buy stuff for themselves, "look a Jihady , pfftthump."
While I feel better taking boron, iodine, vitamin D3, B-12, magnesium, and zinc, at best I'm only half sane.
FelixEstrella

Post by FelixEstrella »

HOT DOG! Welcome back HS. When you left I figured this forum was done with. When Weet emailed me this morning that (a) Aesop was gone and (b) you were back, I was tickled pink. Been playing with a Aprilia Tuono V4 of late ... it's dangerous. Sorry what's happening to you. A buddy of mine had his wife walk out on him last year; no explanation other than "we've grown apart" and took up with her ex-HS boyfriend. He's now pursuing his dream of riding every single road in South Africa on an FJR and lovin' it.
"Luck is where you find it—but to find it you have to look for it" -- Eugene Fluckey.
Blogspot
picsig