Missing, lost, absent members

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Durham68

Re: Missing, lost, absent members

Post by Durham68 »

Jericho941 wrote:Things never seemed a bit formulaic? You always knew what you were going to get; it was practically paint-by-numbers.

1.) Pick a topic, any topic.

2.) Remember that you are the expert. Instantly develop an opinion on the topic. Hint: you don't like it.

3.) Stretch "I don't like this" over five paragraphs in which you detail the graphic homosexual acts of the mental subhumans responsible for whatever it is that has mildly irritated you, and the extreme violence necessary to remove them and everyone in their zip code to delay the coming apocalypse another fifteen minutes. However:
3.a) If the topic is a natural or man-made disaster, show maximum indifference toward the victims, bordering on enthusiasm. (Show actual enthusiasm if the victims are an Enemy Demographic). It's important for everyone to know that you're a tough guy who knows that Shit Happens, and if those morons knew what was good for them, they never would've lived in a neighborhood vulnerable to asteroids.
I am a sucker for pop music too.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Aesop was a great writer.

And he pissed me off on plenty of times. I cannot count the number to times I deleted a post I was writing that called him out on portraying himself as a Marine when he was not. Close, but no very important cigar.

But I am wondering where Yogi is, because I give a shit about each and every one of you.
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

I would like to see him unbanned.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

IMO Yogi is just as much a troublemaker as Aesop, if not moreso. I do not miss him. A former admin protected the guy. :roll:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

JAG2955 wrote:I cannot count the number to times I deleted a post I was writing that called him out on portraying himself as a Marine when he was not. Close, but no very important cigar.
Are you saying he lied about his service?
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

rightisright wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:I cannot count the number to times I deleted a post I was writing that called him out on portraying himself as a Marine when he was not. Close, but no very important cigar.
Are you saying he lied about his service?
He was a Navy Corpsman. He mentioned it something like once. All the other times, it was "When I was with the Marines", or "when I was in the artillery..." Or for all we know, he could be lying about the whole thing. If he was truly a Navy Corpsman, he would have no reason at all to lie about it. It's plenty honorable. But yet he portrayed himself as a Marine at every turn.

Examples:
Re: hemorrhagic fevers, they've been around long time.
I remember an episode of M*A*S*H* where it was an episode plot. Which was all fun and games until Team Spirit, and I lived with 5000 other Marines in a dry rice paddy about a mile and a half from the Korean DMZ for three months. And 12 guys got the exact same mystery hemorrhagic fever that had been known since the Korean War, same unknown cause, just like the TV show version. 6 of them died. In peacetime. Just from GOK what. It's not Ebola, it's just some mystery shit that kills people in Korea like delivering the mail since as long as anyone's written it down. And they still don't know whereinhell it comes from, or how to cure it.
Great Big Lie of Omission:
randy wrote: Did you at least have a chance to mount a bayonet lug to your artillery piece? (IIRC you were the Jarhead version of a Red Leg)

Aesop wrote:
I was particularly depressed over never getting a chance to try out the NCO saber with the ALICE pack carry rig I worked up.

They would never issue out the bayonets. We could play with machineguns and high explosives, but apparently sharp instruments was a step too far. :roll:
So naturally, everyone sported their own knives, personally supplied, which was magically OK. I think they just didn't want the headache of guys losing the issue hardware, and the OrdO was a CWO with a rash about everything.

But they did hand out "pioneer equipment". So we took pallet-strapping gear and mounted a machete under the muzzle brake when we were in Honduras. They made us take it off when we re-embarked. They didn't want anyone on the gator freighter getting the vapors, even when we offered to put the sheath over it.
Another:
At Las Pulgas, we had a live grenade range right across the road from 11th Marines, backed up by Big-ass Mountain, and no housing for miles and miles.
Other than the one time (in 2 1/2 years) my Bn used it, it sat idle, and it was the only time in a full term in all three active MarDivs outside of basic qual I both shot the M-203 and threw a live grenade. We could have done it monthly, and been back at work by lunch, and so could any unit on the base.
Here's once where I did call him out, and he dodged the question
http://theguncounter.com/forum/viewtopi ... es#p268110
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Darrell wrote:IMO Yogi is just as much a troublemaker as Aesop, if not moreso. I do not miss him. A former admin protected the guy. :roll:
I always considered Aesop's presence here to be my punishment for having sought out and invited Yogi to the new server. But Yogi's been pretty decent lately, at least when he's been around. Probably for the reason you mention.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:Things never seemed a bit formulaic? You always knew what you were going to get; it was practically paint-by-numbers.

1.) Pick a topic, any topic.

2.) Remember that you are the expert. Instantly develop an opinion on the topic. Hint: you don't like it.

3.) Stretch "I don't like this" over five paragraphs in which you detail the graphic homosexual acts of the mental subhumans responsible for whatever it is that has mildly irritated you, and the extreme violence necessary to remove them and everyone in their zip code to delay the coming apocalypse another fifteen minutes. However:
3.a) If the topic is a natural or man-made disaster, show maximum indifference toward the victims, bordering on enthusiasm. (Show actual enthusiasm if the victims are an Enemy Demographic). It's important for everyone to know that you're a tough guy who knows that Shit Happens, and if those morons knew what was good for them, they never would've lived in a neighborhood vulnerable to asteroids.
You've gotta stop reading Vox. Or Slate, or Gawker, Salon, HuffPo, etc
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

The backbiting and cattiness is starting to show. sigh

The *only* member here I ever had a personal beef with was some crusty old motherfucker who called himself 'S3' something-or-other, who got quite insulting over anyone disagreeing with him over a minor factual issue in an area where he considered himself an expert, despite the 'fact' he was claiming originally being an error made by a journalist.

I often (not always, really) disagree with a lot of you, sometimes think you're wrong, misinformed, have not thought things through, sometimes even mentally unwell, but I always maintained faith in your good faith, if you know what I mean.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I hadn't said shit on here about what happened to him until he made nasty comments about me (since removed) on his blog.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop