Gave Notice Today

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Darrell

Re: Gave Notice Today

Post by Darrell »

My boss informed me after work Thursday, our Friday lately (and over the phone at home) that he wants to meet with me Monday morning. He said it was "nothing bad". I suspect he's going to try to talk me out of leaving, and possibly pitch me an offer to sweeten the pot. I've gotten a lot of commiseration and envious remarks from people since word got out that I intend to leave this Thursday... one of the tech people, a lead in product development, expressed dismay when she heard I was leaving--"well, there goes another knowledge source", or something to that effect. I am a maintenance mechanic, mind you, but I am not a hammer jockey. I have made it my business to understand the materials and processes of what we do; when somebody has a question they come to me for answers. If I don't know the answers, I get them in short order. I suspect she brought up my name during Thursday's business management meeting. I wonder what will happen, and what I should do. I've already told the boss that I cannot continue in my position as it is. Some of this goes back to when I blew out my right knee five years ago on the job, and was royally shafted by the company and its workmen's comp insurance. There are some things I simply cannot do anymore, such as climb ladders, heavy lifting, helping move equipment and infrastructure, etc. All that is happening, and will pick up in pace and scope in the near future. As already mentioned, the boss asked if I'd be willing to return for busy season this fall. I could say a lot more, but will leave it at that for now. The "consultant" angle comes to mind, of course. ;)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

If you can afford it walk away and forget about it all if you want to.

If not, or you want to stick around, be a "consultant" and rake them over the coals until the stones that you're squeezing blood from cry for mercy and you have secured your retirement.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Five more days, 40 more hours... :D
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

29 more years...

not that my job is bad, just frustrating at times.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Trust your instincts. You've been there there long enough to read the waters. Best for ya. Regards - from the Front Range.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

2 more daughter's weddings to go to final freedom. ;) ...and bucket list projects to fund that would be a stretch on retirement income.

Still enjoy my work and co-workers though at times there are "groundhog day" moments. It's the ~24 mile commute that gets me (can be 1.5hr each way) though that even gets tolerable days i can ride my bike part of the way.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Well, I had the meeting with the boss this morning. He didn't make any offer to sweeten the pot, just tried to talk me out of it, but not very hard. So it goes. Looks like this Thursday will be my last day.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Darrell wrote:Well, I had the meeting with the boss this morning. He didn't make any offer to sweeten the pot, just tried to talk me out of it, but not very hard. So it goes. Looks like this Thursday will be my last day.
Good luck with future endeavors!
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Be veeeery cautious of the sweetened offer; quite often it is a deeeelicious roast beef sandwich with only a veeeery small skim of human shit beneath the bread which "you almost CERTAINLY won't notice".....
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Well, today was the last day.

Unfortunately, the NYPD gave me going away present. :x
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt