what to do in KC?

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Greg

what to do in KC?

Post by Greg »

I have no idea when this would actually happen, but the better half has asked if I'd be interested in a road trip to KC. There may be something there she'd like to see. OK.

Aside from that because this would probably turn into a weekend trip, can anyone recommend activities in KC?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
SoupOrMan

Re: what to do in KC?

Post by SoupOrMan »

World War I Memorial and Negro League Museum, usually a Royals game in KCMO and a Sporting KC game in KCKC on weekends. If you're traveling from the east on I-70, hit Westminster College in Fulton to see where Churchill gave his "Iron Curtain" speech.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
randy

Post by randy »

Eat BBQ
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I second the WWI museum. The Kaufman Center and museum are close to there as well.

A little outside of KC is Fort Leavenworth. They have a small frontier army museum, the Buffalo Soldier memorial, and you can still see the wagon ruts from where the Oregon Trail cruised the Missouri River.

Lake City ammo plant isn't that far away either.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

randy wrote:Eat BBQ
This, a hundred times over.

The Nelson art gallery is good.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Arabia Steamboat Museum

You should also go to Sheridan's Frozen Custard. I'd recommend a Grant's Grasshopper - it's vanilla custard with mint syrup, then they blend in very thin flakes of chocolate and Oreos. But everything is good.

I can't find a website that shows their locations, but when we're there, we just search for it on our GPS and go to the closest one.

If you like malls, there's the Crown Center that has a Sheridan's in it as well as a hat store and a fountain pen store and a plethora of restaurants and a good chocolate shop... oh, and a tea shop. I like to stop there whenever we can. It's at: 2450 Grand Blvd., Kansas City, MO.

I second the Nelson Atkins Museum

Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden - in town, easy access, beautiful, and small enough to see all of it in a reasonably short time or spend more time just because it's beautiful.

Kansas Belle Dinner Train - if you like dinner trains. It's about 40 miles from the center of the city. It was fun.

City of Overland Park Arboretum - a bit spread out, but very nice.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Drive east or west a few miles.
Find a Dairy Queen.
You can kill a week there one afternoon.
Find a small town, and watch them blow out the street lights and roll up the sidewalks at night.
Go cow-tipping at night.
And Branson is only a couple of hours away. :lol:

But seriously, stay out of the few ghetto 'hoods, find some great places to eat, and ask around. There's all sorts of interesting things not too far in any direction.
I had an unlimited mileage rent-a-car on a then-wife's biz trip to GA one week, and I dropped her off at work, then saw everything from the air museum at Warner-Robbins AFB, to Andersonville Prison and the POW memorial, to the Infantry Museum at Ft. Benning, to FDR's retreat at Warm Springs.
I'm sure west central MO will lack for nothing as well.

Oh, and know where the nearest tornado shelter is, and learn the difference between a tornado watch and a tornado warning. ;)
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

So what'd you do?
As I remember from the family trip there when I was 13, Northeast of KC MO, the Lafayette County Courthouse has a cannonball still embedded in one of the columns from the Battle of Lexington in 1861. It was underwhelming then, and I'm sure it's still as thrilling. :lol:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy