Age, Injury, Hardware, Machinist Support Request

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
JimTX

Age, Injury, Hardware, Machinist Support Request

Post by JimTX »

Folks, I took a hell of a fall in an industrial accident last September. My right shoulder does a good imitation of Jello, now. The shoulder might heal. The drain bamage? D'oh! :lol:

Getting better slowly, not quickly enough.

Alas, some hardware sales will be necessary. I won't list anything here until I get a MOD's permission to proceed though.

I'll check in here to see, later.

Also, would HTRN and/or other top flight machinist gimme a buzz, here? Relaying a tech request for a gent with a very nice condition, nearly perfect OLD lathe, but that needs new tailstock babbits.

Thanks, y'all!

Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX
toad

Re: Age, Injury, Hardware, Machinist Support Request

Post by toad »

My experience that as you get older the more your immune system turns on you. If you have a slow healing injury it can pay to have a Doc run a full series of blood tests, Vitamin levels, hormone levels, and if needed and bone density scan. Also you need more rest than when you were young.
The hell of it is all my friends family, and acquaintances are aging on me. My Brother and Sister-in-Law say they are getting close to moving into assisted living. I'm still thinking about moving to another country and going out on hookers and blow. :lol:
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Glad to see you back. Not glad to hear of your injury. Eat well and mend well.
toad wrote: I'm still thinking about moving to another country and going out on hookers and blow. :lol:
Should we start a fund? :D
randy

Post by randy »

JimTX wrote: I won't list anything here until I get a MOD's permission to proceed though.
So let it be written!

So let it be Done!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Denis

Post by Denis »

Randy beat me to it. Sorry to hear of your injury, Jim. Take good care of yourself and let it heal properly. I'd recommend looking for a good physiotherapist - having one made a huge difference to the recovery when I did my shoulder in some years ago.
JimTX

Post by JimTX »

The shoulder is gonna take some surgery, as there's rotator cuff issues and other things amiss in there.

I've got nearly full range of motion, but with very objectionable levels of pain. And strength is no more than 50% normal. A motion like filing down some bar stock to repair a folding table, is agonizing.

Background pain is always at "3", never lower. Aspirin is my friend.

Incident was stepping onto a long-ago, painted-over fiberglass skylight which was integral to an "R" panel metal roof. Fell fifteen ft. down onto a 1951 Mercury low rider. Had the car not been there, it would've been headfirst into the slab, and we all know what that'd have meant. Paying for a cracked slab where my head would've hit it might've been expensive, y'know?

I can still shoot the pistols accurately, but not comfortably.

1099 contractor, 2nd day with new company after 5 years with previous. Insurance? I remember, wasn't that something I could afford pre-Obamacare?

The ambulance ride alone was $600 +

Anyway, I'll post the rifles in the gun section, and will mention the permissions given, here.

Just quick info on 'em.

1. Marlin Model 1892, mfg, 1902, .22 LR. Brown patina, fully functional, NRA fair to good. Round barrel, full length tubular magazine that still works and feeds rounds.

2. (CC's seen this one, btw) 1953 Mosin Nagant, POLISH version T-44. The most highly polished, beautifully blued and perfectly fitted Mosin you've ever seen. I bought it unfired, a decade ago. Since then? Forty rounds, total. (Kim DuToit put the first five rounds through it at the now-burnt D/FW indoor range by Love Field) The bayonet mount on this rifle has a nicer finish on it that most the commercial rifles on the rack nowdays.

Gotta get $500 for either of these. That's a bit of a bargain on the Marlin, when compared to all available online "completed sales" that I could find.

Given that I saw a similar Mosin at the local gun show, circa 1952 version, not NEARLY as nicely polished or blued, but equally "new-ish", just a lot less elegant....and that was on the table for $620 asking....and that these, while not truly RARE, are indeed truly SCARCE on the market....I'm not asking too much for this one. Hell, you can still feel individual wood fibers in the cartouches stamped into the stock.

I'll see about getting pics uploaded on these for y'all.

Thanks for your forbearance, and I'll hope these find their new homes in short order.

Jim
Sunk New Dawn
Galveston, TX
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Jim - I'm sorry to hear about your physical difficulties. Stay focused on your rehab and do all of it.
JimTX wrote:2. (CC's seen this one, btw) 1953 Mosin Nagant, POLISH version T-44. The most highly polished, beautifully blued and perfectly fitted Mosin you've ever seen. I bought it unfired, a decade ago. Since then? Forty rounds, total. (Kim DuToit put the first five rounds through it at the now-burnt D/FW indoor range by Love Field) The bayonet mount on this rifle has a nicer finish on it that most the commercial rifles on the rack nowdays.
Here's a plug for that rifle - I remember it. It''s beautiful. It inspired me to get one of my own, which isn't quite as nice, but it's probably my favorite Mosin besides my 1970 M-39.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

JimTX wrote:Also, would HTRN and/or other top flight machinist gimme a buzz, here? Relaying a tech request for a gent with a very nice condition, nearly perfect OLD lathe, but that needs new tailstock babbits.
I have zero experience with redoing babbits bearings, but the intarweb is chock full of info on how to do it.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt