Three more weeks.

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Rumpshot

Three more weeks.

Post by Rumpshot »

I have 15 radiation treatments and two chemo treatments to go. I know many people have gone through a lot rougher treatment plans than I have, but I am miserable. I am still independent, though Kathi will be joining me this week for the duration.
The house I am staying in is more than sufficient for my needs, but does not have the comfort of home.
I get bored and fatigued. Not being at home, there are a million little things I could/should do, but can't.
Two weeks ago, my mouth stopped being my friend. EVERTHING tastes nasty, to the point of bringing on nausea. I have to thoroughly rinse my mouth out to even drink water. I started losing weight (which should be a good thing, but not during treatment). Last Monday I had the gastric feeding tube installed. I can feed water and Boost directly into my stomach and avoid the nasty tastebuds. With the feeding tube in place, I have stopped the weight loss. And improved the hydration levels.
Good news: The chemo that they are using on me is normally hard on magnesium levels. With that in mind, I am scheduled for a magnesium IV push each treatment. My blood magnesium levels have held up so that IV push has not been necessary. Yes, at the PA's suggestion, I have been taking a magnesium supplement.
More good news: My Granddaughter is bringing her folks to Phoenix this week to watch a Spring Training game or two and to visit me!
Overall, I am my usual grumpy self. I don't believe I am suffering from any depression to speak of. It is frustrating with the treatments and how long to go. It is frustrating being bored, especially when I have finished the one book I brought along. I take frequent naps. They help to pass the day. I am sleeping pretty well. I go to bed early and get up pretty early.
Lots of folks are keeping track of me and expressing their concerns. I appreciate that. I would probably call some of you to visit, but my throat is really messed up and I am really hoarse right now. I have been told that might get worse and I might lose my voice altogether for a bit.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
rightisright

Re: Three more weeks.

Post by rightisright »

Glad to hear you are still kicking :) Do you have a Kindle or tablet for books?
randy

Post by randy »

Hang in there man.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:Hang in there man.
+1
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

In our prayers!
BDK

Post by BDK »

If you post an address, I think we can scrounge up some reading material to send you
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I have PDF copies of Sled Driver and Kuhnhausen's 1911 manuals I can send if you'd like some light reading.

Hang in there.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

AlaskaTRX wrote:In our prayers!
+1
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Hang in there, Rumpshot! :) Kick its ass!
Eppur si muove--Galileo
g-man

Post by g-man »

Stay after that magnesium supplement. The less you have to be on the IV Mg, the better you'll feel. Prayers sent.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum