Kommanders Leather Werks

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Kommander

Kommanders Leather Werks

Post by Kommander »

For some time I have occasionally made small leather goods for myself, items such as holsters, straps, and whatnot. However I was always reluctant to invest in the tools that I needed to do a good job, preferring instead to improvise. The the items were just for me, so long as they worked I was happy. This Christmas I was given some new and improved tools, including most importantly a set of stitching chisels, a groover, and tools to properly to edges. The use of these new tools, along with some more practice, watching YouTube videos, and helpful advice from the local leather store has vastly increased the quality of my creations. I actually have managed to, rather accidentally, sell my first product as well. I thought I would share some of what I have made recently.

Strap for a 70's vintage camera case.

This orbital keyring is a good example of how I used to do my stitching before getting the chisels.

Utility Knife Sheath. Need to rework the pattern a bit.

My newest creation. I've seen these selling for over $100 in some places, but that seems like hipster prices.

Really old piece here: The brass goggles!

Anyone else on the forum do leatherwork?
JustinR

Re: Kommanders Leather Werks

Post by JustinR »

Very nice. My only foray into the world of leathercrafting was for finding a way to attach and carry my hatchet on my molle vest. I bought some leather and cheap tools from the local hobby/craft stores. The most frustrating part was trying to get the rivets to mushroom correctly instead of simply bending over. I haven't had occasion to do any work since.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Nice. I have made a couple of crude knife sheaths, and I made a shoulder holster from a Tandy kit once for a Glock that worked pretty well, but nothing nice like your work. I may still have the patterns from that holster around here someplace, if I didn't already give them away.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Nice work.

Now you need to make yourself a pair of assless chaps.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Jered wrote:Nice work.

Now you need to make yourself a pair of assless chaps.
Small stuff is one thing but clothing is quite somthing else. I managed to get $20 for that pouch, which is a bit low but I suppose that makes me a professional now! :mrgreen:
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Nice work.

My son made a pretty creditable sheath for the knife he got at the NOR shoot in 2006(?).

How much for a scabbard for an unscoped lever gun?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I make most of my own falconry gear. However, like you (until recently), I lack the tools to get ambitious. I'd love to learn though.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

I'm also light on tools, but I make do. Occasional sheaths, and other bits and bobs. I also modify some off the shelf gear. The running WIP is a cowboy belt rig, with pouches for pistol ammo and speedloaders for my muzzleloader.
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

The single best tool, other than a knife to cut the leather, is a set of stitching chisels. Combined with a tool to run down the edge to ensure the stitching is straight, such as an edge groover or compass the chisel set will both speed up the stitching and make it look allot better, especially once you learn how to saddle stitch. Last night I made a new key fob using the groover and stitching chisels and the difference in quality is obvious.