My dog has an appointment with the reaper.

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Precision

My dog has an appointment with the reaper.

Post by Precision »

Our rottie has been a bit off for a few weeks. We decided to leverage my sister's contacts in the vet world to see if we could figure out what was wrong. Right about that time Fiona started having bloody discharge from her nose. We thought she had gotten a splinter in there. She was put on a round of antibiotics and anti-inflamatories...

Two weeks later and no real effect brought a full day of xrays and running a scope up her nose to look for foreign objects, came back negative. We have been feeding her high calorie foods and such as she has lost 15% of her body weight. For a week or so that helped and she gained back a few pounds. But in the last week I have had to coax and cajole her to eat. Her symptoms have gotten worse. I will spare you all the details; but we are pretty certain that she has a rapidly growing tumor in her head, most likely located behind or very near her left eye. I am pretty sure it is cancer and have been pretty sure for about 10 days. Considering my wife's history, I let her come to that conclusion on her own.

Fiona, our rottie, is not particularly in pain, but she will not eat and really will only respond to my command voice. She is happy to be petted and rubbed, but nothing else interests her. I really think she is enduring more for us and because she doesn't want to let us down or give up on us. I feel like we are letting her down, now by doing what we must.

With a heavy heart, we will have her put down tomorrow. It is the painful, but correct thing to do. I feel a little guilty that I am not doing it myself. I really see this as my job, but my sister and society at large will not allow it (without repercussions).

She is a great, loving dog. She will be missed.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
First Shirt

Re: My dog has an appointment with the reaper.

Post by First Shirt »

It's never easy. Thoughts and prayers are with you, and even though you hate it, sounds like you're doing the right thing.

Wish there was something I could say besides, "I'm sorry."
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Darn. That hurts and it hurts a lot. Losing a family member is not easy.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
Baja boy

Post by Baja boy »

Dang That hurts , it brings back memories of my Girls--I used to breed and raise Rotts . With tears in my eyes, I lost some great ones too. .
B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
Liberals: all about choice UNTIL you choose differently than them.
Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Sorry to hear about your furry friend.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Well, shit. That is never easy. I am very sorry.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Never easy. We had to put one of our dogs down a year ago for the same thing, a brain tumor that suddenly appeared. Sorry to hear that.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Well shit sorry lad.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Condolences. Had to help a friend take one of her cats on her last vet visit, and dreading the day that her Catahoula has to make the same trip. (Hopefully not for a few years for him!
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

My condolences. Not much else can be said.