Have you ever had one of those bosses...

Discussions about our lives, families, jobs... things may get a little personal
Jered

Have you ever had one of those bosses...

Post by Jered »

...that make you wonder whether or not there are any decent people left in the world?

Pretty much any time he says something other than good morning, it violates some sort of policy or regulation, or he exceeds his authority.

:roll:

*sigh*

Eventually, I guess he'll get enough rope to hang himself, and fortunately, there's an anonymous hotline for such things. I talked to one of the HR lickspittles today, too. I think she was the most unpleasant person I've ever talked to in my life. I've dealt with fugitives and convicted felons that are more pleasant. Shoot, I find convicted sex offenders more pleasant.

*end rant*
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
kapikui

Re: Have you ever had one of those bosses...

Post by kapikui »

Keep in mind that the HR isn't there to help you, it's there to protect the company, but not by getting rid of idiots in management, but by protecting them and getting rid of any "troublemakers" that threaten them. They made him a boss. Having him be a problem and having to fire him reflects badly on them, so they will protect him and keep promoting him or transferring him until he isn't damaging them. Under no circumstances should anyone from HR be trusted.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Yes and as previously noted he metaphorically speaking shot him self in the foot , multiple times , it took a while though and I got tired of it and moved on , well before he went away.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

kapikui wrote:Under no circumstances should anyone from HR be trusted.
Word.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
toad

Post by toad »

I've found that most of the people who work in HR have never done any of the work they are supposedly hiring for. Usually a supervisor who is interested in someone does a direct interview and bypasses H.R. The find prospective employees by word of mouth. Of course they will hire people who aren't good for the job also, buddies kids and what have you. HR departments have built up such a large empire in companies they are dragging down the profitability and hurting productivity. It will end in tears sooner or later.
A survey was made and the surveyors were surprised that people didn't make friends at work the way they did in the past. Well duh. Turn over and treachery makes it not worth making attachments on the job. People make friends through affinity groups instead.
evan price

Post by evan price »

While my company downsized starting in 2007, they cut everything to the bone and laid off all kind of people. HR however, they doubled in size despite a 30% RIF and have consistently had more promotions and expansion ever since.
HR represents workers like Colonel Sanders represents chickens.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Pretty much any time he says something other than good morning, it violates some sort of policy or regulation, or he exceeds his authority.
Yeah, I had a boss like that.

One day I got a new policy memo across the desk from our state headquarters. Reading it, something tickled the back of my mind, so I took out the criminal code and found an applicable paragraph, describing the action in the policy memo and prescribing jail time.

So, I went to the boss and showed her the policy memo and the applicable law. She examined both and told me not to worry, that departmental policy superseded state law. My jaw fell open. When I recovered, I told her to be very cautious about saying that to anyone else. I also told her that if she took the action specified in policy, I would be the one to take action specified by the law. I'd arrest her and take her ass to jail.

Luckily, cooler heads prevailed and the policy was rescinded. She and I never worked well together after that. I left as soon as it was feasibly possible.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Oh, lots.

The director of a department I worked with a lot at a former consulting gig had been with the company 30ish years. Lunch daily was taken in liquid form at the local bar, and you NEVER had a meeting after lunch with him. A woman in another closely-related department made that mistake, and he called her a cunt in the meeting. Didn't sit too well, but they allowed him to retire (then brought him back as a consultant).

Another consulting gig, consulting company manager was also the project manager. We worked crazy hours, 60 hour weeks were typical. Found out that he kept the project intentionally understaffed because the consulting company billed the client time-and-a-half for overtime but payed us straight time,and he got a bonus based on the overtime we worked.

Married manager carrying on an open affair with one of his subordinates, then started screwing a different subordinate on the side. Married man who can't even be faithful to his mistress.

Manager who got an award for bringing in more revenue than forecast for a particular month. Turns out she did the forecast, and she over-estimated vacation time therefore under-estimated revenue, basically getting an award for being incompetent.

Micro-manager who, while we were dealing with a production problem, wanted to have a 30 second status meeting every five minutes.

Manager who, upon being told database restores take about 45 minutes replied "I want it done in 20." Sure, I'll pull some bandwidth out of my ass.

Same manager told me I had an attitude. I'd been called three nights in a row, so on Thursday I'd had about five hours of sleep since Monday morning. I told her I'd earned my attitude. She said "I know you're tired" and I replied "I stopped being tired two days ago".

Oh, +1 to what others said about HR. At a former company during sexual harassment training I was told sexual harassment didn't happen to men, so complaints of such were ignored.
Baja boy

Post by Baja boy »

toad wrote:I've found that most of the people who work in HR have never done any of the work they are supposedly hiring for. Usually a supervisor who is interested in someone does a direct interview and bypasses H.R. The find prospective employees by word of mouth. Of course they will hire people who aren't good for the job also, buddies kids and what have you. HR departments have built up such a large empire in companies they are dragging down the profitability and hurting productivity. It will end in tears sooner or later.
A survey was made and the surveyors were surprised that people didn't make friends at work the way they did in the past. Well duh. Turn over and treachery makes it not worth making attachments on the job. People make friends through affinity groups instead.
DITTO !! BINGO!! ++++1000

Although I have never worked for any other companies, ( I owned & operated my own companies) I have run into some of these HR types and some of their hires. Most of them aren't qualified to wipe my ass.
B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
Liberals: all about choice UNTIL you choose differently than them.
Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Honestly? My current boss is probably the best I've ever had. Despite being a largish(50+ employees) company, It's like working in a small shop - mainly because my immediate boss is the CEOs brother. :mrgreen: It helps that A)he understands what my job involves, and B)doesn't hesitate to throw money at problems.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt